Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I believe truss rod is maxed out, any way to make further adjustments?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Figjam, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My truss rod on my Godin is turned as far clockwise as it will go, i believe. Its not a question of whether or not the truss rod works, because i have adjusted it several times successfully in the past. Lately i have been tightening it to take out some relief and it is ALMOST where i want it to be. My action is fine ( 3mm at 12th fret) so its not a problem, but i believe i can get it lower if i take more relief out.

Any ideas?

2. If you can remove your trussrod nut and put a washer or two as spacers in there, you can get more adjusment out of it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How exactly would i go about doing this?

4. You back off the adjustment nut and unscrew it from the truss rod. The rod will stay in place. Then put washers over the rod and seated against the shoulder the adjustment nut rested against. Use enough washers to gain 2-3 threads on the trussrod and rethread the nut. Tighten and readjust the relief.

5. If it's a bolt on (hopefully only 4 bolts) stick a medium pick between the bottom two bolts under the joint in the neck pocket. Yes it'll lower the action, but raise your saddles and pickups, and loosen the truss rod. I imagine your problem will change as the weather (and thusly the humidity) change this fall. Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

6. Crazy, please don't offer suggestions if you aren't going to read the question in the first place. Following your advice would not only have no affect on the trussrod, it would put Figgy's bass further from the perfect setup than where he started.

Fig has a trussrod nut that has gotten to the end of it's travel. That means that the nut has bottomed out on the threads and cannot be adjusted further. The problem has nothing to do with string "action" but has everything to do with string "relief" - two completely different things. Shimming the neck to lower the strings will NOT do anything to help adjust "relief". Why? Because "relief" is measured as the distance between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret measured in the middle of the string when it is depressed at the 1st and 14th frets - the area the trussrod has the most effect on. For most players that like a flat setup, this will fall in the .018" - .025" but it's definitely a matter of taste.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Does this mean loosen the truss rod? How do you take the nut off?

8. yup, loosen the truss, and keep goin and hte nut will back itself off

9. On newer Godin necks, the truss rod's design does not allow to take off the nut. Since the SD is an older model, it's possible that it has the old truss rod with the removable nut.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a 2002 i believe.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wont this lead to my neck curving like a mofo until i put the nut back on and retighten it? is this bad for the neck?

12. No, not at all. If the neck is not strung, it has no tension on it anyway. The trussrod only counteracts string tension. This is the proper procedure for this repair. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you really should take it to a professional that can do it for you.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes, strings would be off, makes sense.

I should be comfy with it, but im not going to do it yet. The relief is okay now, im just thinking in the future if it decides to bend more due to temperature or something, and i have to make another adjustment, i want to know wat to do.