I bet your bass cant do this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themajorrager, Jul 27, 2005.

1. ...unless maybe you own the same bass as me that is!

here is a link to a sound clip of some "noises" i can get from my bass without using an fx pedal.
    only 0.5mb file for easy download

i would be very interested to know what you think is going on with my bass... :help:
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My alembic can do that. :)
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Cool effect. It sounds sort of like a Theramin.
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sounds like on-board radio.
    There are so many bells & whistles on basses these days, I'm sure some are able to mimic that noise.
  5. i "create" this effect by not pluggin the jack in properly and then using the volume knob to adjust the pitch or frequency of the noise. if i sorta shake the volume knob the sound kinda wavers sorta like a vibrato effect on steroids. i can only get it to happen on my Yamaha TRB4II.
    i originally thought it was cause of the active eq but none of my other active basses do it.
    Whafrodamus - nice to know my bass has something in common with an Alembic - id probably include my neck in that comment as well - easily the fastest, most comfortable and gorgeous neck i have ever played. :hyper:
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    My grind produces a wah wah sound if played right (and I mean right) at the bridge, kinda cool. Knackers your fingers pretty fast though cos the strings are so stiff there.
  7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    you learn this from Tom Morello of ex Rage Against the Machine :rolleyes:
  8. A good set of resistor plugs'll get rid of that noise son.
  9. no i wasnt aware that Tom ever did that - i discovered it by accident. where does it say that Tom did or does that too?

Hambone - i dont really need to get it fixed cause it only happens when i want it to by not pluggin the jack in properly.
  10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yep,i see Morello in one concert(DVD) making some diferent noises and one of them was this trick,and he can scratch his guitar like turntables too,he is a showman. :bassist:
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

At least that's what it reminded me of.
  12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

i dont even want my bass to do that

thank god
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think you haven't got the hang of the "bump". It's mostly for classified ads of things that are still available.

Good rule of thumb: if it can't stand on its own merit, it's not worth bumping, and if it's bumped by the thread starter, well, it kinda proves it, doesn't it? ;)