1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I bet you've NEVER seen one of these before....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JGR, Oct 23, 2006.

1. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Attached is a picture of my USA Schecter Tempest bass that I purchased new in the late 90's - ya don't see a lot of USA Schecters around, let alone the Tempest model.

The original specs were as follows: one piece mahogany body, figured maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, Kent Armstrong pickups, 3-point bridge....

I've been messing with this bass for a while now to get it "right" - it originally came with a 3-point bridge ala Gibson Thunderbird, and I can't think of a worse design. I machined a custom aluminum plate to cover the original mounting holes (filled with dowels) and raise the new bridge to the proper height. I originally started with a Badass II but had various difficulties with slotting/string spacing/pickup alignment... found a great bridge by Schaller from Allparts that has widely adjustable spacing and it was just the ticket - had the same 5 hole mounting pattern as the Badass too which was a must as I didn't want to drill anymore holes than absolutely necessary. This was the real ticket to improving the bass - now it intonates properly, great action, etc. and the additional mass works well with the mahogany body to add clarity.

With regards to the pickups, the neck PU had almost no volume on the high E string for some reason, even with proper string alignment, so I swapped it for a Dimarzio - I didn't like this pickup as much at first as it lacked the clarity of the original, but I recently re-wired it for parallel operation and it really cleared up the tone.

The original bridge pickup was the mini one like you see on the Gibson EB basses, and while it was nice sounding, the pole piece spacing was an issue and I wanted something a little brighter sounding. I know this is strange, and I really prefer to stick with stock size pickups, but there wasn't anthing that would retrofit... so I ended up with a SD Rick bridge replacement - the mounting base on the pickup perfectly covered the original cavity and looks kind of cool I think. It is a much brighter pickup and has the bar pole pieces so alignment is no longer an issue. I changed the vol pot from 500 to 250k to tame the brightness a bit. Balances quite well with the other pickup and even sounds good soloed.

I also replaced the knobs with the gibson style and changed the original Gotoh tuners for some elephant ear Hipshot ultralights to complete the look. It's a bit of a Frankenstein I know, but I think it turned out well and is much more playable now than it was stock.

Cheers,

JR

2. cool, glad you like it, if it was mine, that plate under the bridge would drive me insane

3. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    nice piece of work ... I have always liked the EB 'look' basses ... had an EBO, but the short scale just didnt work with my big hands ... this looks like a full 34" scale?? ... good job, glad you like it!!

4. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    yup, it's 34" scale.

as for the plate, yeah it's big - had to make it wide enough to cover the previous bridge holes. looks about as good as one can make it...

i was just playing it again and it's amazing that it is not muddy in the least - it has a very grindy, dirty midrange thing going on.... certainly works for rock with a pick...

jr

5. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    o_O I've seen one of those at a Mikes Music Store, they carry all kinds old instruments ( and banjoes!)

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Cool project bass. I'm impressed (granted easily) at your retrofitting know-how. But those twin Aguilar heads and SWR cabs also caught my eye. At first I thought there was a mirror there between the two, but no. If you don't mind me asking....why?:meh:

7. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    what you also don't see is the Mesa Powerhouse 6x10 to the left of them...:bag:

why? because i 1) am a bit compulsive :smug: 2) like to play stupid loud!! 3) the aggies are just such a work of pure tube beauty 4) the main reason, i like to run a clean/distorted/layered rig to add to the insane overkill.... 5) oh, and there is always the chance that a famous band will ask me to join and go on a world tour at a moments notice, and i want to be prepared...

BTW, im looking for two matching SWR 2x12's to stack on top of those if anyone wants to unload theirs!! 12-12's, oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JR