Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I blew my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by macool, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Well I was just playin today and my amp started to crackle and pop. As best I can tell this is what a blown speaker sounds like. When I turn it down a little bit the niose stops so I'm not actually sure if i blew it or not. If so how much would it cost to get a new speaker in the amp. It is a 150 watt Peavey TKO with a 15 inch speaker.

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Nah, the amp i play through at school crackles, pops, distorts on low notes... all the time.

3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    If it has an external speaker jack you could borrow someone's cab, and run it through another speaker to see if it really is a voice coil rub or something like that with your speaker.

I suppose you could test it the same way with a headphone jack which cuts off the speaker.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I doubt its blown...in every single one of my experiences with older Peavey's (especially the 15" TKO's) they are genuinely crappy amps. I've played through 4 of them and every one of them ended up having something wrong with it. The one at school has a short in it somewhere so half the time you have to hit it to get it to work right. The director is too cheap to get it fixed :p

5. i have a peavey tnt115, i had a lot of trouble with crackles, after a tech stuffing me around i decided i would fix it myself so i resoldeered all the solder joints and puched all the chips hard down into there places, and its fixed.
    its to do with the vibration at higher volume levels, it could also be an input jack.