Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I blew my EA iamp 350!!!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by heymrbassman, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Apparently the iamp 350 is way too powerful for the internal 10" speaker. It doesn't ever distort it just blows the driver!

I have never driven the amp into clipping so I am a little shocked and don't really trust the combo any more.

The people I got it from are sending a replacement driver as the combo is still under warranty so thats Ok but I am now thinking about a replacement amp.
    I am willing to give it another chance though as it is a great sounding amp for DB

I play jazz style DB with a shadow pickup through the amp. Never slap or electric bass.

Obviously not a good combo for slap bass!

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

H

2. Well, either no-one cares or this has never happened to anyone before

This could be a good sign

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Are you sure that it has blown the driver and that you have not just activated some protection for the tweeter - I notice in the reviews that the tweeter is rated at 150 watts and quite often there will be some sort of "protection" for this?

PS - it is pretty slow on the DB side .....

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

What Bruce said - things move slowly over here. More details please. How long have you had this amp? Describe the moment when the driver actually blew, and what the speaker sounded like before and after. If this happened shortly after you got it, it may be that the driver was already sligtly defective. I had an experience with an EA speaker where the driver was funky from the moment I got it and just got worse from there. EA issued a call tag for it, replaced the driver, and it's been fine ever since...and that was over a year ago. I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

5. Cheers for the advice.
    Its like a slight fuzz sound that colours the sound. When I described it to the guys at the shop they said the driver was blown and are sending another one. The tweeter is fine and didn't affect the sound. The distortion was there with or without.
    They also said that the magnets are so heavy that putting the cab down hard can sometimes damage the speaker. The shop have been great.

I am pleased to hear that someone else has had a similair problem so now I am looking forward to fitting the replacement.

While I think of it, has anyone noticed that when you switch the speaker off, the amp starts clipping on the power side. Plug in some headphones at this point and you can hear a real nasty sound. Switch the speaker back on and the amp stops clipping.

No EQ, preamp at 11o'clock, master at 11 o'clock. Electric bass or DB. I am not overdriving anything. This is as loud as I have ever needed to play.
    Luckily, I don't want to use headphones

H

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Have you called EA? That would seem to be the first and most apprpriate step

Mike

7. I am really happy with the service and support I am getting from the shop I bought it from. I am just interested in finding out other people's experience of the amp to help me decide whether this is the right amp for me.
    Sounds great but be careful you don't break it? I need an amp to last, especially for that price.

This maybe just one of those things that happen. It may never happen again. EA are too far away to do anything more than the shop I got it from.

H

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    There are a few things you should investigate besides the amp

1. What is the output of the DB pickup. Many times the DB pickup needs a buffer

2. With the combo you are pushing 200 watts into a driver designed to handle 200 watts. So the driver should handle what you put into in. The EA speaker is a very clean speaker and won't distort. If, however you need more volume than the 10 can handle you should add an extension cabinet

3. I spoke with Larry at EA and he mentioned that he has heard of some DB's that are putting out subsonics. Notes below the hearing threshold that have a great deal of power. Those subsonics can blow a driver. I recall a cool thesis on the effect of subsonic waves on an audience, but my internet serach has turned up nothing

Mike

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

This is a really good point, and one that may be a quick and easy fix for HARMONICBASSOON's problem. If the iamp 350's "Tone Shaping" feature is the same as that of the iamp 800, it includes the ability to select the bandwidth you wish to boost or cut. I've found that if I apply a cut to frequencies at or about 50hz, the sound is a lot more natural and a lot less "boomy", especially at high volumes. As Mike knows, I'm not a huge fan of parametric EQ's ;), but this feature is really useful in maintaining a natural sound even as the volume increases.

This is a bit off topic, but I've been doing some reading/experimentation/research into some basic acoustical principles, and have discovered that there are creative ways to compensate for the need to cut very low frequencies (which is the easiest way to protect your speakers). If I'm mixing a track I've recorded, it will often sound fine on my studio monitors, but then sound like absolute muddy **** ona cheaper set of speakers, or will bottom out my Infinity car speakers way before it should. When this happens, I always used to use a high pass filter to get rid of (or greatly reduce) all frequencies below ____hz. Problem was, when I did that, it also tended to suck a lot of the "body" out of the sound. Later I discovered that I can add a great deal of that "body" back by boosting the frequency of the double-octave overtone which relates to that fundamental. So, for instance, on my iamp 800, I like to cut 50hz with the parametric to keep the "boom" out of the sound, and replace the resulting loss of "body" with a slight boost of the double-octave partial, or 200hz. The simple way to think of it is when you cut a very low frequency and the result gets rid of your "boominess" but also sucks body out of the sound, multiply the frequency you cut by four and experiment with a slight boost in that range. My logic here may be total horse****, but this seems to be a good starting point for me for both live and studio applications.

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm glad you're finding use for that parametric :D

Mike

11. I like the idea of using an HPF. Do you think I need preamp for my shadow pickup? and can you suggest a decent one for me to try.
    I don't need any tone shaping as the iamp has loads but maybe the option to cut out sub bass from the signal and something that can fit on the tailpeice easily
    If a speaker doesn't go down that low would it still try to produce the frequency? I have noticed that the driver in my combo moves a hell of a lot. Really slowly.

I cut out a lot of bass at a gig last week along with a lot of treble and I seemed to be getting there although I got more of an instant sound with my old Trace combo. I think that the inherent sound of the bass/pu used will come through whatever you do to the EQ.

H

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

That's an impedence-matching question which is over my head, since I know nothing about the Shadow. But here's a link to a thread on the subject:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77836

There are a lot of good replies within, and as happens more and more often these days, SHOELESS JOE has embedded a very pertinent and useful novellette into the thread. Happy reading, and good luck.

13. First thing I always check when I hear Fuzz coming from any of my basses is the pickup. When a battery fails on an active pickup, it always makes frightening 'wallet-squeezing' noises, but its normally just the battery..

What you described further into the thread, as far as turning the speaker off and putting in headphones, almost eliminates the actual driver as the problem, and puts the cause somwhere in your bass, the signal chain, or the amp.

14. Its definitely in the amp. I tried with two electric basses and my DB bass, which is a peizo pu.

Its not a big deal and I can get usable headphone volume. It just seemed strange to have such a violent clipping sound when the speaker is off.

Anyone out there who owns an EAiamp try it out. I'd be interested to know.

In the passive input. Pre at 11o'clock, no EQ no Shape, Master at 12 o'clock. Real loud and no clipping on pre or master.

Now switch the speaker off and plug in some cans.
    Does the master clip light come on? it does for me.

15. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Being an EA dealer has its advantages... I have an iAMP 350 head in the next room.

I duplicated your settings using a passive electric bass, and Yamaha phones. I got some clipping light flashes if I played the A and E strings heavily, though I did not get any distortion.

So I turned up the master from 12 o'clock to full throttle -- it got a lot louder, and the clipping light now lights with every note... but I never got any distortion at all.

:meh:

In either case the headphone volume was more than adequate, louder than I would prefer. Of course, the efficiency of the headphones would factor into the actual volume achieved.