Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I borrowed a Peavey Cirrus from our own Papersen.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trevorus, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, he bought a Cirrus on ebay. He couldn't resist. But, he lives in Argentina. So, he was going to ship it down to his friend in Miami to keep until he comes down for the holidays. So, instead of having it sit for a month or two at his friends house, he is allowing me to play it for that time, then ship it to his friend in Miami.

Let me tell you, this is one amazing bass. If I had the money, I would go to the nearest dealer and buy one. This bass has shattered all my reservations about peavey. Absolutely beautiful looks and sounds. It is clear, and growly. Very nice. The sweepable mids are really cool, and the neck feels great. I'll try for some sound clips soon. Here's some pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nice, huh?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Nice indeed! It will hard to let that go...... :eyebrow:

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Trevorus; i don't think the pictures are large enough. i can't make them out from the other side of the house :bag:

Seriously though, that's a nice looking bass. :)

5. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
  6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Don`t worry, I`m not crying ;)
    I`d be crying if I didn`t buy the bass.

Anyway, I know the bass is in good hands. I thought it was a great opportunity for a TB`er (Trevorus in this case) to test the instrument. It happened to me many times. I always swear when I check the GTG pics.

I know it`s a terrific bass, but and I`m a patient guy.

Thanks Trevorus

7. They are great feeling/sounding instruments, aren't they? :cool:

Mike

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have three really good basses, and I couldn't part with any of them to get another one, so I guess it's time to start saving...

9. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    WHY CAN PEAVEY NOT OFFER A CUSTOM "LEFT-HANDED" OPTION!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

-J

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, this is wierd. THe bass started making a farting noise when I dug in. So, I figured, let's check the battery... They were the original Peavey batteries! One was at 2.67 volts and the other at 5.3 or something. Unbelievable that it could still sound good at all. I am going to pop in some new ones and see how it goes...

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, huge difference. It's even livelier and really growly. Very nice stuff. My computer isn't cooperating, otherwise I'd nbe posting sounds. Anyone know any good hosting sites?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll tell you, I have never seen a company go from zero to 60 like Peavey did. When Peavey first came out, their stuff was absolute garbage. Their PA's sounded tinny, their amps sounded even tinnier, and the only good thing about their stuff was it was lower priced than anything else, though not such a bargain since it didn't work worth a crap. The only acts who used Peavey were southern rock bands, and they were Peavey in name only. Most had them rebuilt to specs of amps they actually liked like Marshalls and Ampegs and Crowns.

That all seemed to change around 1985. All of a sudden, the quality started rising. They made these excellent full range PA cabs, they came out with a bass that was playable and an amp that didn't sound bad at all. Then they came out with a great little line of guitar amps in the Classic series. Not quite Fender but a far cry from their first dismal attempts.

And now I think Peavey gear is as good as anything out on the market, they still have great prices, and their quality control is quite good and commensurate with the prices they charge. I'm completely amazed at the turnaround Peavey has undergone. Hartley Peavey turned that company from the joke of the industry to one of the major players.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This bass is great. Being able to play c and d's on to that low b is just great. Now I just need a 212 cab to really give it some oomph.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice bass, Papersen! Nice of you to let a TB'er 'borrow' it until you can pick it up.

You have the twin sister 5 string of my 6 string tiger eye! Very nice.:cool:

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

¡Felicidades, Guillermo! Me imagino que no ves la hora de tener semejante instrumento en tus manos.

It's a shame that Peavey had the hegemony in my country when they weren't that good. LOTS of CS-800 power amps and XR-600 /1200 powered mixers were sold at that time. My first amp was a Mark IV. Still around, but the offer has diversified a lot.

16. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks a lot Jeff.
    I`ve been inspired a lot after seeing yours many times. Maybe someday I`ll follow you with the Geddy Lee.

17. Nice Bass....

would you reccomend one of those over a Schecter Stilletto Studio 5?

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Absolutely. No contest IMHO. The Schecter is nice enough, but the USA Cirrus is in another galaxy.

19. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Our store is a Peavey dealer and got a load of Cirrus BXP's iin and WOW! I tried real hard but couldn't find anything bad to say other than the B string lacked tightness, but the 4's- WOW! Very comfortable and great versatile tones!

What's the big difference between these and the USA models?

We have a MIllenium BXP 4 string, which has a pencil thin neck and wow is it ever comfortable, like lightning! Suffice to say I'm no Peavey hater.

20. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    im not sure on the spec differences, but i can tell you this...the b string on my us made cirrus 5 is one of the best b strings i've played on any bass, reguardless of price. it has all the punch and clarity of an e string, and it has amazing depth to the sound. the feel isn't floppy at all on it...