Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i bought a 1950's kay cello please read

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by warwickben, Oct 16, 2004.

1. so today i bought a 1950;s kay cello for 550$. it has a really dark finsh and its heavlyfigured mabey tiger maple iam not sure i dotn knwo much abotu cello and kays. the figureing looks liek tiger stripes thats why i said tiger maple.

i plan ontuneing it eadg i was reading this artical in bassplayer i belive or on this site and this cat tunes his cello like bass.

any ways ive never owned a upright or a cello befor andi dont wannt break it. it has wooden pegs for tuners and iam not sure if i need to know any thing baout them so i dont break them .

sorry iam just wicked happy cause i got this and i think i got a good deal.maybe not. just give me any info so i dont break this thing

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Congrats on the new toy!

Do you, or did you, go to public school?

3. ha ha funny.

4. Sounds like this cello has a great future. :crying:

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Why don't you ask at a cello website, like cellos2go or celloheaven?

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If it's a 50's Kay cello, then likely as not it was made to be tuned like a bass. If I'm not mistaken it was produced at the behest of either Ray Brown or Percy Heath. I think Ray was the one that endorsed it.

Like the basses, whatever figure you're seeing on the surface is just on the surface cause they're made of plywood.

7. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Ed Fuqua]If I'm not mistaken it was produced at the behest of either Ray Brown or Percy Heath. I think Ray was the one that endorsed it.

dis won was prolly the Samuel Clemens deesine.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    warwickben,

Call up Mark Carlsen who's a bass repair guy up there in Tewksbury. In fact he posts here at TB. He can check the cello out and advise you about how to get it set up.

9. Ed, didn't the one that Ray endorsed have bass type machines? And they were blond? warwickben said his axe has wooden pegs.

10. Hey Brian, Thanks for the plug! How's that killer Juzek? Nicest Juzek Ply I have ever seen....Still going W. Velvets?

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hi Mark...yeah, I still have the Velvets on the OTHER bass (you did the swap, remember?) and they're great except I'm starting to get ruts in the board from slapping, looks like I'm overdue for a planing job :crying:

My daughter's finally outgrown her 1/4 Kay, you got any customers interested in a 1/4? Shoot me an email...

Geez, here I am hijacking the thread :bag:

12. bassbob

bassbob

Oct 16, 2004
    Midwest
    Hey,

I had a cello bass several years ago and I ended up trading it for an electric bass for another band I got into. ( that was a mistake :crying: ) Anyway my tuners were not violin types so I was not worried about breaking anything. Also the scale was a 30 inch lenght which would coorespond to the 3/4 electric bass length. The basses are small but nice the price sounds about right. Good luck with the bass maybe a good luthier may be able to help you install regular machine tuners on that headstock.

13. What the hell is a 'cello bass' ? What the hell is a 'headstock' as regarding double basses or celli?

14. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Paul, "headstock" is Planker for Scroll.

Why they call it a headstock... i don't know. What do you expect, they're plankers. :meh: :D

"Cello bass"? Heckifiknow... it's probably planker for 1/4 sized bass.

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    "Headstock"...a small wooden clamp-type punitive device that immobilizes the head of anyone who refers to a scroll as a "headstock" on TBDB.

16. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Tyrolean-style machines are available for celli, check Meisel, Howard Core or International violin. If you can't get them directly from them, your luthier can.

17. I know what a head stock is. But go use it on some guitar site.
    That, along with fretting and frets!
    I was just chain yankin'! :eyebrow:
    And my man Marcus comes through for me again!

18. bassbob

bassbob

Oct 16, 2004
    Midwest
    Ex-freakin' scuse me as I am making the transition from planking. :bassist: I sit corrected, it is the scroll ( I shall never mention that which starts with "H" again ) The Kay referred to is a cello bass and I'm citing the holy grail on this and it is smaller than a 1/4 size bass.

Your support as I make this transition is crucial to the fate of every future DB type in the upper midwest. :hyper: :help: I am waging a campaign to persuade area plankers to give up their fretted planks and come into the light. Flame if you must, :spit: but the crusade you support may come to your neighborhood.

Later

19. JessEvans

JessEvans

Sep 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hi Brianrost,

I sent you an email. Do you still have the Kay?

-JessEvans

20. hey guys i have not been on in some time and been going thou a lot.health problems ect ect.

i still got the cello.
    when i was in high school (tech type) i was a really good student in shop(i took metal fab) so i had a lot of free time during shop week. my teachers played guitar and we would jam from time to time. after i past all the test for tig welding i wound up making parts for a luthier that was a friend of my teacher. i am mainly a electric bass player so bare with me i don't know all the terms. i used to make a wheel that went in to the bottom on upright basses with a metric post.
    i forget the name of the luthier but he was German and did most of the work for the people who play at the half shell.
    any ways one day when he came in to the school to pick up the parts he saw the bass i was building at the time. really nice guys and i was able to sit down and talk basses ect with him. he wound up helping me with the cello.

iam glad iam back and healthy .