Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I bought a big knife today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JMX, Jan 14, 2004.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    a kitchen knife that is.

A 8" WMF Grand Gourmet chef's knife.
    I never imagined I'd pay 50 bucks for a kitchen knife :D but I'm totally stoked. It's so awesome to work with this baby.

[​IMG]

Anyone else have similar kitchen/cooking experiences?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have a few Wustof grand prixs that I am really fond of. I bought them when I worked as a tepanyaki chef. Fun stuff!

3. JMX, I like to cook, but haven't been doing that much of it lately; I guess I'm just lazy.

Concerning knives: I bought a J.A. Henckels 8" chef's knife about 10 years ago. It cost me $70 U.S. at the time, but it is still such a pleasure to use. It cuts through meat or vegetables so smoothly and it does give you better control over whatever you're cutting than with a cheap knife.

Best money I ever spent on a cooking accessory
    :)

Enjoy.

Mike

4. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I've had Cutco for a few years now. Never seen anything better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. please daddy, don't let them cut me :meh:

heh

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Money well spent. Keep it sharp!

I mostly use a 10 inch chef's knife. The cleaver and paring knives are my other main blades.

Edit: Oh yeah, they're Henckels. Love 'em.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We are also a J.A. Henckels family. I bought my wife this one last week.......
    [​IMG]

-Mike

8. Hey, I'm into knives too... This one came with an SKS attached to it. :D

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I didn't buy a new knife but I DID buy a new knife sharpening setup last night. It's awesome, easy and get's knives "scary sharp."

[​IMG]

Easier to do than a freehand stone thing (or even a stone with an angled clamp) and quicker too imo.

brad cook

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah just so you know. I'm not going to break into any of YOUR houses. :bag:

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't have any nice knives, but I like Calphalon cookware. Very nice for the price, as nice as stuff three times the price IMHO.

[​IMG]

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you have one good chef's knife, everything else is icing on the cake. Henckles at my house. :cool:

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    On the opposite side of the "you get what you pay for" spectrum, I once bought a toaster for $6.99 that proceeded to blow up the first time I used it. :meh:

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I want one.

15. Hmmm...
    I bought a cleaver for $15, and it's more than enough for all of my needs... :p

16. I'll post a pic of my knives...just gimme a few days to get the blood off of them. I mean....the ketchup:eek: ;)

17. That is very knife, he said with a lisp.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This thread is getting out of control. Embellisher's making a case for his pots and pans, Tyler's going off about toasters and stupidmatt is letting us in on his burglary plans.

brad cook

19. Calphalon is very good stuff! ;)

Mike

We're all such domestics. :D