Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Bought a DB 728 and Need Rack Recommendations!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hey, Kids!
    I just picked up a used DB 728 and I love it! But, it's so heavey that it literally tore apart the rack I mounted it in. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, sturdy rack for this thing?

2. Try Anvil...a little more expensive, but better quality.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I've been trying to find an answer to that question lately as well.

I'm hoping I can find one that doesn't weigh too much, since my DB680/DB728 setup is heavy enough as it is. I might try one of those new SKB US series cases, but I'm not sure if they're sturdy enough.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It already weighs a ton... Might as well do the right thing and get yourself a shock-mount rack of some sort. Your tubes may thank you for it! :bassist:

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i knew there was a reason that i didnt get a 728.......... :D

6. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    A big problem is that it is heavy and DEEP! With the fan toggle, the case has to be a minimum of 24 inches deep. I found out exactly what an Ace Case is made of. Very little. The amp pulled the rails out of the case walls. But what a tank of an instrument!

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Are you sure? My 728 is only about 18 inches deep with the fan switch (not including the front handles).

8. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am measuring from end-to-end. All my other racks measure to about 21.5 inches end-to-end and are just too short.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Might want to try a Boogie rack. They make them in 18" and 22" depths. I just scooped up a 8 spacer, and stuck about 20 tubes in there. Not as many tubes as my 12 spacer, though...

[​IMG]

They're kind of on the heavy side, but it's worth it if you really want to protect that Aguilar.

10. You have the must awesome stuff and your complaining about mounting options. . .please.

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    He wasn't complaining, he was asking for suggestions.

12. just sayin' i am jealous. would still love to have that problem though. always wanted a full tube rig. i am sure finding a roadworthy case would be a chore for that.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cripe, Ben! You take a forklift to your gigs, or do you get the Governator to roadie for you?

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Heh, that's not a gigging rig - it's just for storage mainly. My road rig is only 8 spaces, with only one power amp in it. ;)

15. I bought a shockmount Anvil Case for my 728/680 set up and you wont find a sturdier case for that set up.....but DAMN is it heavy....the case itself ways over 100lbs and then you add all of those tubes and thank god it has casters or it wouldent go anywhere.

If you live with stairs i do not reccomend. If you are on a ground floor and have someone to help you load in and out of your car.....then an Anvil SHockmount is definitely worth checking into.

good luck

16. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    The case weighs 100lbs by itself? As in, without the 680/728 in it?

...Yikes. :eek:

17. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    And I had this fantasy that I was going to reduce the size and weight of my gigging rig! Thank you, everyone.

18. Yup, Shockmount cases are extremely heavy....they are more for the touring musician.....

19. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well your gigging rig must have been a ton if by buying a 728 you thought you'd reduce the size and weight.