1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I bought a Korn record for the first time last night

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 30, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Its funny I made it through the 90's with little to no interest in them but last night I was in the used cd shop and I was looking for some new tunes. I saw they had a copy of Korn's unplugged from last year on cd so I decided to give it a try. Well late last fall I recalled seeing this concert on TV and I thought it was half way decent. I didint realize till listening to this cd that this Fieldy fellow can actually play the bass and not just smack it. Its a fun album if you feel like getting a little experimental. :)

2. kingofthestring

kingofthestring

Aug 31, 2007
    i actually like the unplugged stuff more than the electric stuff

3. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Korn is one of those bands who has bass in the forefront of the music and has a creative player with chops. For some reason people continue to hate on them. I'm not a huge fan but I'm always interested in hearing what they're putting out.

They're originators of a style which has copycats even to this day. Unfortunately most of the bands who rip them off are laughable. Clean verse, crunchy chorus, mommy never hugged me lyrics, you know the rest.

4. MAJOR METAL

As do I.

5. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    hes got a good sense of rhythm. and some of his lines can be really interesting. i just dont like the the lyrics

6. I think you have to just basically " have it " for Korns style of music.. i mean not alot of people may like them because of the bass sound, the vocals, this, that etc.. See You On The Other Side was IMO definitly not the best times for them..regardless of that Korn has a HUGE fanbase and i think they have a song for everyone..i was never a HUGE fan of stuff..for example a heavy intro leading into softer melodic verses..i like the Korn songs that stay heavy throughout the whole entire song..but hey thats just me..

7. MAJOR METAL

I am greatly enjoying this album. :bassist:

8. I'm a fan of their first two albums. I like Fieldy too. Hate his tone, but enjoy his playing. I think he gets WAY more crap than he should for people.

9. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Pretty much exactly how I'd sum up the reasons why I used to really be into Korn. When I was a kid, I could tollerate/ignore the lyrics... not so much now. They just kind of leap out and thrust themselves in your face, if that makes sense.

Either way, I'm more into music without lyrics, or sparse lyrics, anyway.

10. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    the acoustic Korn is just another "let's do it for the money" kind of thing. Like they wouldn't have money. Another marketing album or record that they just have to do.

i think the album is a joke.

If you like ashley simpson you will love this album

11. A fairly bleak assessment there Crow. Every good band i know does an unplugged gig, not for the money but for a challenge, re-arranging songs to suit accoustic styles is difficult, especially for a band like korn i would imagine. I don't quite think you thought out your post to well...

12. I very much agree.

13. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    +1 Agreed.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    +1 here too.

Gotta admit, he gets a lot of crap he dosn't deserve, wheather you like his tone or not, it actually suits the band very well. And if it didn't, he'd change it, or the band would change him.

I like it, sometimes, not a band I'd listen to constantly, but sometimes.