Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I bought a mystery Dimarzio pickup!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steamboat, Jun 23, 2001.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...0&showTutorial=0&ed=993257295&indexURL=0&rd=1

Thar she be. I think I'll get a white pickup cover.. no particular reason why.

No idea if it's meant for bridge or neck, or whether it's the Ultrajazz or Model J (or some discontinued model I suppose). Ideally it'd be a bridge Ultrajazz... but I figured hell.. it's only 10 bucks.

The bass that I will put it on is a Peavey Fury with a single P pickup. Once I get it I plan on mounting it wherever the pole pieces seem to best line up with my string spacing. I definitely would rather have it be a bridge pickup, but I wouldn't mind the extra bottom of having closer to the neck.

I figure that I'll just wire it up as Vol-Pan-Tone. Are there any good websites out there that have wiring diagrams and/or a list of parts I'll need, or can anyone tell me what I'll need?

My dad is a good woodworker with a lot of tools so I'll have him do the routing. If I put the pickup at the neck, getting the wires to my control cavity would be easy since everything will be underneath my pickguard. I'm not sure how this will work if the pickup is at the bridge. How does one run wires through the body without doing any top or rear routing? I suppose I could get some blank stock pickguard material and cut out an expanded pickguard to cover a routed out channel, but I'd rather not (it's probable that my dad knows a way to do this, but I might as well ask you guys).

I'll also have to get a grounding wire to the bridge somehow.. would it work if I just attached the J ground wire to the grounding wire that is already coming from my P pickup?

Since I'm mixing pickup brands, phase cancellation may be a potential problem. If it turns out to be really bad I'll just use one pickup or the other.. perhaps someday I'll get a Dimarzio P replacement.

Any other tips? I'll be sure to post back here with my progress and the final results (hopefully I'll get that far!). It will be fun if nothing else.

Thanks!

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would say that is not a J pickup. Looks like a split coil P type pickup. You could mount it like the Fender Precision Elite II has theirs mounted.

The Dimarzio site has installation instructions.

http://www.dimarzio.com/

3. That looks like the internal coils of a DP123 J pickup.

Chris

4. Turock: Dimarzio J pickups are actually side by side split coil humbuckers.. It's odd that the coils are actually separate like that.. I guess that you could probably mount it in a P style cover if you chose....

It would make sense to be a DP123 since those have been made for so long. I wonder how old this thing is. It's quite possible that it's older than I am (born in 1982).

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Upon closer inspection, I do believe you are right. It does appear to be some kind of J pickup. I bow to your superior knowledge of pickups.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yes, I realize you guys are right.
    You could possibly determine if it is a bridge or neck pickup by the cover it fits into; the bridge pickup on a USA Jazz is slightly longer than the neck pickup. You should be able to tell unless that pickup will fit into either cover.

7. I have 2 pairs of the things that I installed myself, that's why I recognize them. :D I don't know crap about other pickups.

Chris