Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I bought a 'Ray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Yes indeed, yes indeed! I've been fighting the urge for so long, but, on Saturday, I went to Sam Ash to check out a Sansamp and whatever else, plugged in a Stinray and couldn't let go. I was thinking about a 5, but the 4 felt so good in my hands I had to get it. It's black with a black pickguard and a rosewood board.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

I be in heaven! More later. I'm at work.

Mike J.
    OH, that sound!

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ahhhhh!!!! MJ you were bitten by the stingray bug!
    Good luck and enjoy your new RAY!
    Post some pics when you can!

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You finally caved! :) :D
    I knew my Sterling thread, a while back, got to you! ;)

Here's a picture of me playing my Sterling:

[​IMG]

Tell me what you think, and post some pictures! :)

4. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I'm looking into an Musicman 4 String... I'm stuck between Sterling and Stingray. :confused:

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats Mike!!! I know you've been wanting one for a while. I'm glad you finally got one. Sounds pretty awesome through that B-100R doesn't it?

I've been having a great time with mine too (bought 8 days ago), but am having a little trouble with my E string. If you guys could go to the 'set up' section of Talkbass and give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Enjoy your new toy Mike, you deserve it.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hey Mike, nice shot! i love stingray 4 strings much more than the 5 strings! hope you like that bass. all black basses are lovely!

7. Thanks guys. I've always loved Stingrays, but, when Crawling Eye got his Sterling, I had to check them out. That was the beginning of the end. Then Embellisher was stressing the differences between Sterlings and Stingrays, and I had to go back to the store and check that out. He, as usual was right on the money. Then, about a month ago, I posted a thread kidding around that I was going to buy a Stingray 5 over the weekend, Xavier posted pix of them, and I felt my brain turning to oatmeal.(Quaker Instant) The final undoing of my will was that thread about "Thoughts on Stingrays." Then, Rayzak was ranting about his and how good his sounded (and we have the same amp) so I knew I was truly doomed. Now, everything I've just said is true, but, I know on Saturday when I went to Sam Ash to, ahem, check out a Sansamp DI, I knew I was lying to myself because as soon as I got in the store, I took a 'Ray off the wall, and after playing 4 of them (3 'Rays and a Sterling) I found myself asking the guy if he had any in Sunburst. (I love Sunburst) He checked, said all they had at the moment were the 4 that I had played and said he could order me one in SB and it would take about two weeks to get here I just said, "I'll take the black one." Now it's on my stand solemnly looking at me and saying "Play me." I can't get over the tone, and at how responsive the tone controls are.
    Oh man, and the fretwork. Now I know what everyone has been talking about. Oh well, it's time to go home. Talk to you guys tomorrow, and thanks for chimming in.

Mike J.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I knew I contributed! :D

I think the more you play it, the more you truly appreciate it. I've had mine for a while, and it was a little alien to me at first, but now it's such a pleasure to play, it nearly plays itself.

I went to Sam Ash the other day, put it into a BAM 210 combo, and realized that this is entirely the coolest amp (IMO) that I've ever played through.

I'm currently figuring out how I'm going to swing the BAM. :)

Congrats, and enjoy her! :)

9. Right on Mike! I bet she`s a beauty!! :D

10. I'm already dreading the day when I have to choose betwen a G&L 2500 and a Stingray 4. I might have to get both;).

Worse thing is, it's two years away:D.