I bought a used Yamaha

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Bufo, Oct 28, 2002.

1. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    Its a TRB-4, and I'm loving this thing. I actually bought it about 2 weeks ago, though I decided not to post about it without any pics. The bass has an ash body, 3 piece maple neck, and 2 band eq with a midrange boost selector switch. People who say these basses are no good for rock must be out of their minds. I'm able to get a serious mid-rangey jazz bass grind out of this bass, with almost stingray-like punchiness. I can also get a great assortment of more traditional "hi-fi" tones, great for jazz, funk, slapping, etc. As some have said though, the preamp does make some slight noise with the treble boosted, though this is really no problem for me as I don't think I'll be using it much. The neck and string spacing both feel and play perfectly, and the balance and ergonomics of the bass just fit like a glove. After getting pretty well sick of my cumbersome, neck heavy jazz bass, this bass has been a godsend to me, as I can now finally stop lamenting about the discomfort of playing my bass, and just get back to music. This ones definitely a keeper.
  2. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    Heres another, slightly smaller picture.
  3. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Congrats, she's a beauty
  4. thats one sweet yamaha! are those stock pickups? Did those go out of production like my RBX 260?
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    TRBs are great basses... you will enjoy those... Sound clips!

6. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    Thanks everyone. I've been thinking about posting a sound clip, but the only way I'm capable of recording into my computer is through my computers mike, so sound quality will likely be rather poor. We'll see though, I'll try and get around to it. As for the pick ups, yes, they're definitely stock. The bass is pretty much as new with the exception of a small scratch and few dings. TRB's are still in production, though I believe they have humbuckers now. I really have no idea how old this one is. Anyone know how to get the model year from the serial number on a Yamaha?
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That is one nice bass. I din't know that they make (or made) a 4 string version of it. I've only seen 5's & 6's of that bass. Congrats,.

And thanks for not posting without pictures. :p
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nice bass. I even like the color.
  9. Nice bass,,,Do you know if Yamaha makes that with a maple fingerboard?
  10. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    ooh... i love ash.
    i'll bet that one is fun to play.
  11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i love that color. hope she plays as good as she looks, enjoy her and remeber the ones that once had gas over her, and just never got her :)
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Very nice. It brings thoughts of the ocean, for some reason.
  13. I know you didn't adress your question to me, but I'm taking the liberty of responding to it anyway. And I don't think they do. I've only seen ones with rosewood boards, both in real life stores and on some of Yamaha's many websites and in cyber stores. Yamaha only seem to offer very few options for every model in their product line. The TRB, for example, is made in two, maybe three, different colours IIRC. And if you want a fretless TRB bass, you'd either have to buy a five string, or get a fretted four or six and defret it yourself.

Your bass, John, looks good, BTW. I've always liked Yamahas, and the TRB 4 plays smoothly. Also, the model you've got looks a lot sweeter than the new, slabbier, TRB's.
  14. you said that it's a 2 band eq with a 3 position selector...

but there are 5 knobs...volume, pickup balance, bass, mid, and treble.

am I right, or wrong?
  15. notduane

Nov 24, 2000

How's come they don't offer the cheapie fretless' with them purty colors? :(

Here's my latest :D. RBX270F "before" (...I start futzin' with it :rolleyes: )

16. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    The mid knob is the midrange selector. You adjust the amount of midrange boost for each position from the pots on the actual circuit board. Its pretty dandy, as it allows for a great deal of customization of the sound. A 3 band eq with midrange boost would probably be better overall though I suppose. I'm quite happy with it nonetheless, as this is my first bass with an active pre-amp.
  17. so the mid knob actually "clicks?"
  18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yes. There are three (I think) individual positions you can put it in.
  19. OK lemme get this straight...

the middle knob allows only 3 positions, while the bass and treble are boost/cut?
  20. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You are correct. The bass and treble are your standard pots with a center detent, and the middle one is a rotary switch.