Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I bought an Ampeg AEB-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Starbucker, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I ended up buying an Ampeg AEB-1 fretted bass from my cousin in St. Louis for a ridiculously good price, with extra emphasis on ridiculous. It really is a killer bass.

Here's my dilema, if you want to call it that. I'm debating whether or not I want to sell it, because I know with the profit I would make off the sale I could buy one or even two nice basses that I wouldn't normally be able to afford. I know it's probably a stupid question to alot of you, but I want to hear your opinions. What would you do?

I'm could go either way, for the record.

Thanks all.

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    sell it, get a sadowsky

3. If you want to sell it, I'm interested. PM me....

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    unless you have a burning need for the cash.....keep it...enjoy it..play the heck out of it for a while...then sell the thing and take your profit.

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I agree with biker. Play it until you dont like it anymore, then get rid of it

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What year did you get?. Congrats on the cool bass. :bassist:

7. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    It's a '67 or so and I just bought it last week. Despite the fact that it's very old and hasn't been played much for many years, it is in very good shape. The only flaws that I can really see are some normal paint wear that you would expect on a bass that's almost 40 years old.

Thanks for your input so far. I'm still juggling my options...

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    1) PICS!
    2) Would turning it for a huge profit upset your cousin?
    3) Play it for a while, you might like it. If nothing else, you get to play a bigtime classic for a while.

9. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT

1) I'll get some up. I'm getting an imageshack account as we speak.

2) My cousin doesn't even play bass and he bought it from his school 7 years ago for $75. He saw a big profit too, so he really didn't care.

3) I do like it, but there are other basses that I could get with the profit from this one that I would much rather play, such as an American Fender J-Bass or a Stingray.

I'm still thinking about it.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, no matter what you do, we want picutres and LOTS of them!

11. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    You'll get pics, but I have to go to work now. I promise I'll post them when I get off in about 5 or 6 hours.

I'm glad you guys are so interested in this.

12. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few. If you want me to take a picture of a specific area of the bass, let me know.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  14. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Yeah I've seen that and have exchanged a few emails with Bruce. I sent him some pics of the bass so he could give me his 2 cents.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I got an email from him and he is doing some really great things with his model. He even said he is going to do a 5 string model in several years.