Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I bought an MTD K5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guitarkim79, May 28, 2002.

1. guitarkim79

guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Chicago
    After scouring the messages on this board, I decided to get an MTD Kingston 5 as my first bass. I don't have a scanner or digital camera, so I don't have any pics, but it's red and looks like the pictures on the MTD website. I was concerned about the neck width since I have small hands, but I did get a really good deal on it, I think. It was $320! A local music store isn't going to sell MTD's anymore and has them on clearance. They had a few more K5's left, a few Grendels, and a Beast.

Kim

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Give up the information Kim! Where's the store, huh? :D I actually know of someone who may be in the market for an MTD import.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Red? Spicey! Rosewood or maple fretboard? I have a red one with rosewood fretboard, and a "custom" black pickguard.

Ain't these things grand? The necks play themselves. Though, even with my mitts, playing position on the first few frets (especially fourth w/ my pinky) can be a bit of a stretch...but man oh man, these things kick butt! I'm gonna drop and active preamp in mine this summer and maybe a new bridge...but these things stock are things of beauty!

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i hope i can get a great deal on one of these MTD basses

cant wait for july!!
    :D

5. What kind of preamp you thinkin to put in there?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bartolini 2.5 AP- Active/Passive 3 band EQ, with a Mid frequency selector (push/pull Mid pot). The Master Volume being the A/P switch.

Either that or the 2.4, only difference is the Bass/Treble is a stacked pot.

7. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Congrats! Hope you'll like it. Yeah, the neck is wider than on some six-stringers. It's due to the wide string spacing. I also dislike the asymmetrical neck shape. But there is only one bass I've tried that plays like a dream. I can feel the GAS coming...

8. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey, G79, welcome to the world of import MTD's!

I have had a Beast 5 for about a year and love it. It has become my every-day bass.

I did a complete shielding job and put a Sadowsky preamp in it. I bought one of the Sadowsky preamps (the belt-clip kind) and took the guts out and installed it, but it was sort of a pain. I had to get all new pots, and it was very fussy about star grounding, but the sound is outstanding. If I were to do it again, though, I would probably go for one of the Bartolinis.

Tru, FWIW, I have small hands and like the asymmetrical neck, makes it easier for me.

9. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Kim,

Would you mind telling where you found your deal?

I'm pricing a 5 right now and was hoping to find the best deal.

Thanks,
    Kubla Khan

10. guitarkim79

guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Chicago
    I bought it from a store in Michigan, Marshall Music. They have about 5 stores in Michigan. I purchased my bass at the one in Kalamazoo. The salesguy told me that he thinks all 5 stores are trying to sell all of their MTDs. Anyway, here's the website: http://www.marshallmusic.com/
    The website isn't very useful expect for getting email addresses and phone numbers.

The contact info for the Kalamazoo store is:

951 Mall Dr
    Portage, MI 49024
    616-321-0415

The guy that helped me was Rob- you might want to ask for him, but I'm sure anyone there will be able to help you.

Just to let you know, Rob told me that the Marshall Music doesn't really like to sell stuff over the phone. They will, but they might make you jump through a bunch of hoops to buy something (ie. faxing stuff to them, etc.)

Kim

11. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Thanks for the info.

Congrats, and enjoy!
    Kubla Khan

12. guitarkim79

guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Chicago
    I have a maple fretboard. I'll admit that I thought the bass was kind of ugly when I first saw it in person, mostly because of the pickguard. I think that it's beautiful now, though! As for the width of the fretboard, I seem to be getting used to it. It doesn't seem so big anymore. I tried out many basses and most of them had smallers necks. For instance, I tried an Ibanez GSR-205. That neck felt nice, but the guitar just felt cheap compared to the MTD (and definitely sounded cheap compared to the MTD).

Marshall's did have a few K5's with rosewood fretboards. They even had a sunburst K5 with a rosewood fretboard (I think), and no pickguard! It was a little more expensive than mine.

Kim

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Of all the sub-$1000 basses I've played, the K5 impressed me the most. Congratulations!

14. I've had a preamp put in mine yesterday and with new D'Addarios it's sounding a bit like a Grendel. It's just my dream bass but for a lot less than that. There's no way I would sell this bass, the money is not worth not having this great sound. It's looking like this now:

Pedro

15. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    That's where I got mine. $320 is an awesome deal.

16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    they don't have an e-mail adress!

steve