Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I "bought it now" -- am I nuts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Sep 4, 2002.

1. I love graphite-necked J-basses with EMG's, but was this a nutty purchase?

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=903763838#DESC

The seller was really cool, and promised I could return the bass if I don't like it. Also, she played it for me over the phone, and even thru the wires, I could hear that amazing graphite attack and clarity. . . .

2. Excellent news about the price of the neck! I had been thinking the neck was only around $250 new, because that's what MF charges for a 4-string Moses neck. I guess the 5 costs more because fewer people buy them, so there's a supply/demand issue?!?!?

Anyway, I will definitely post a review when the bass arrives.

3. Seems like you found a good deal to me! I wonder if the Moses neck will help the clarity of the B-string.:confused:

4. About the B string: in my experience, graphite necks are immensely helpful with B string clarity, so my hopes are high.

OTOH, someone obviously chose to trade this bass in to the store for not much credit after spending a lot of dough to put the instrument together. . . so maybe there's SOME issue with sound, or components, or build quality.

I am always amazed at how many people put together fantastically-expensive "parts" basses, and then sell them at a big loss.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Smells like a Warmoth job to me.... -sniff sniff sniff- EMGs yuk! :p

I'm thinking you got a good deal. If it sounds funny I'd start with the pickups. Personally I hate EMGs. (but that's just e, I know lots of people love 'em) Get some nice single coil Barts or Duncans or Lane Poor... Mmmmm....

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    If you like the EMG's and the neck, absolutely you got a good deal. You don't want to pay a lot for a bass like this because it will have to analyzed before bought. I think if you had known how much the necks run, you would have been even more enthusiastic. So, if you would have been inclined to do all these upgrades to a regular Jazz, now you got them all for FREE.

7. The only thing off about that ad description is the implication that the quality of the body is somehow indicative of the country of origin. That's bunk. As most guys will tell you about J's, there's some good and there's some bad. Even MIM's have gotten pretty decent and, within that group, there are some stellar examples. My own MIJ's would be virtually indistinguishable from MIA's except for certain other visual clues that someone in the know would detect.

Obviously the body is good quality but if one were to have purchased the bass based on the possibility that it was an American body, that would be bad. The equalizing factor is the value of the neck.

And in case it's a bone of contention, I don't, in any way, believe that the seller has tried to scam the buyer. By the way, the seller is Annie Allman, cousin to the Allman Bros. from downstate here in GA.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe they lost their job
    maybe they quit playing bass
    maybe their car broke down
    maybe they got divorced
    maybe they found a ridiculous on a nicer bass
    maybe, maybe, maybe...

In any event I think you got a great deal on a potentially nice bass. The Surine 7 string I got from Guitar Center had been traded in on some effects pedals. It sold for 25% of it's retail value.

I didn't spend any time wondering about that one.. I just bought it:D

9. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    How are those 4-string Moss necks? Are they worth the purchase?

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nice catch!

FWIW I've sold my own parts basses for dirt cheap simply because I realize that overall they have low resale value. Frankenbasses are often highly individualized, and QC is a big question mark. To get "fair" value I'd have to have the patience to wait for a buyer looking for exactly what I was selling. I didn't have that much patience, so I sold to those willing to take a chance on a killer deal.

As for why I sold basses customized for myself: it wasn't because I thought they were lemons. It was back when I wasn't sure what I wanted in a bass, back when I went through a lot of basses. I had regrets, but the experience was valuable.