Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I bought long scale strings by mistake

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by whatever, Sep 16, 2003.

1. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    I bought some new strings online the same kind I always use on this particular bass. I use Rotosound, pressurewound strings #RS55. Either I messed up or they did and I ended up with long scale. There looks to be plenty of extra to cut back in the felt area. What do you guys think will this work? Or should I return them?

Thanks!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What kind of bass?

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've put 36" daddarios on a 34" scale bass and didn't have a problem after i cut a couple inches off the ends, other than d'addarios being crap in general.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's generally a good idea to snip the ends of strings anyway...don't ask me why, but everyone tells me this :p I rarely do it myself.

but, you'll be fine.

5. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    JMX What kind of bass?

I have a Shecter Model T.

--------------------------------------------------

Wrong Robot it's generally a good idea to snip the ends of strings anyway...don't ask me why, but everyone tells me this I rarely do it myself.

but, you'll be fine.
    --------------------------------------------------

I usualy cut back my strings too, I just didn't know if I would have to cut back to much with these strings but I do think it will be fine now that I have compared the strings side buy side.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well the S<b>c</b>hecter T <b>is</b> longscale - the strings fit.

Some brands are longer to accomodate longer headstocks (e.g. Fender). Just cut the string a hand width behind the tuner.