I bought my first bass in 1976

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Mar 30, 2001.

1. and since then (OK, I had a bassless gap from about 87-98) I have NEVER broken a string. Anyone here frequently break bass strings? How?
  2. Andy,
    I've been playing for 12 years and I've never broken a string either. And I play really hard, too. I just don't get how people break strings! I've heard people say they break on the bridge saddles. Or if you leave them on for a really long time, they are bound to break eventually.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's been awhile since I've broken one, too. The last one was at an outdoor gig. The a string just decided it was done. I wasn't playing particularly hard, or anything. I used to break some when I had a kahler tremolo on my main bass, but that's different. If anyone is breaking a ton of strings these days, it is more than likely "pilot error" or a problem with the bridge.
  4. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Been playing since 72 and never broke a string,but I have a lite touch.
    Bass Players have a bigger G-string
  5. I used to break strings constantly. I have since modified my style a little bit (try to play with a lighter touch) and I haven't broken strings with any regularity lately.

The interesting thing is often times, when I broke a string, it wasn't always the one I was plucking but the one just above it. For instance- If I was hammering on the A string, the E string would break because it was stopping the motion of my fingers. Anyway after awhile, I got to be pretty good at yanking the broken string out of the way and playing on until the song was finished.:)
  6. ive been playing over a year now and ive broken about 10 strings or so. i play fairly hard most of the time, but sometimes i play REALLY HARD and i dig in alot and i break strings easily. the most of ive broken in a short period of time is i broke 3 in an hour. i dont see how people cant break strings.
  7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ive broken two, a Slowound G (it was really old) on my Modulus, and a Rotosound G (bridge did it) on my Ibanez. Thats it.
  8. I still don't see how....

I am also someone who keeps swapping strings around. My Yamaha is on it's third set in two weeks (I have a number of used sets in circulation at any one time!).

But anyway, I still always carry a spare set of strings with me.

9. I have been playing for almost two years and i haven't broken any...I play pretty hard sometimes, pretty soft others, depending on gig...
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Dude...I've broken two strings in my whole life. Once, I was playing my bass when my dad came in and said something (don't really remember what) that made me VERY angry (don't know what happened...I've never taken my anger out on anything before, it just happened), and I grabbed my D string and YANKED. I was frustrated about something I think. BUT, something to take into consideration is the fact that the strings on my bass were OVER a year old (strings that came on the bass). They had been played quite a bit, and still sounded surprisingly good.

The other string I broke was just the other day whenever I was practicing. I was popping my G string pretty hard and it snapped right at the bridge.
  11. I've been playing a little under a year and haven't broken a string. I play pretty damn hard too. I don't understand the concept of broken strings. I....just...don't get it....
  12. Been playing since 1962 and I've never broken a string on one of my basses. I did break one on another fella's Hofner one time over in Germany. I was sitting in, playing my normal way, and the "A" string popped.

I play with everything from a light to a heavy dig, and very occasionally with a pick or my thumb. I really don't understand how people break bass strings all the time the way I read in the various boards.

Of course, it may have something to do with the aciddic content of one's sweat, and the tendancy of many bassists, and guitarists, not to keep their instruments particularly clean. The acid you can't help. But if you thoroughly wipe down your bass after each gig, or practice, and every so often take an alcohol moistened cloth and really get after the strings, I think you can eliminate a lot of the potential for breaking strings.
  13. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Compared to Sammy and Andy D., I'm a relative newcomer, having only played since 1981. I broke my first, and so far only, string that same year, when I tuned the bass an octave high :eek: . I used to play with a pick, and sometimes I would snap the string pretty hard with the pick, to sort of simulate slap-style. Still never broke them.
  14. RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    i've broken a string once on my brothers bass, but never on my own, we both play relatively the same 'hardness' and slap and pluck is a frequent use of both our repetoires, if u ever have broken a string on a bass especially with roundwounds you'll notice it is alot different than guitar string breaks,, on bass the round wire uncoils near the bridge saddle and tension is released it doesn't normally "break" in the true sense like guitar strings do, anywas my brothers bass is an Ibanez ATK and he strings through the body, so it is pullin the strings over the saddles at a drastic angle unlike my P Bass,, thats what i think is the main cause
  15. I used to break the G and D strings fairly frequently a few years back on my Zon Sonus 5. For some reason, one day I stopped breaking them. I must have made a slight change in my attack or something, but no broken strings in years now.