Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I bought myself a 1978 Ibanez Artist Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    [​IMG]

Now this is quite a rare animal. According to several sites this version of the Artist Bass was only made in 1978 and the serial number of my bass dates it December 78 so it might be one of the very last made. Among collectors these basses fetch high prices because they are so rare so I got myself a good investment... Or did I?

The reality is that I got my bass cheap because the last owner had split the headstock and had no idea on how to repair it so he just went to a shop and traded it in for a new bass. Enter me: I was in that shop today and saw the Bass standing for an incredibly low price and I knew that would mean trouble. The split looked like an easy repair and after trying the bass out (it was stringed up) I decided to take the bass home and lovingly restore it.

When taking the strings and tuners off the headstock gave way (Unbelievable that I had played it a few minutes prior to that happening.) So I applied strong high quality woodglue and clamped it as tightly as it possibly could if all goes well I should be able to put the tuners back on and re-string it tomorrow.

So how does it sound? First of all this is not a slappers kind of bass, the neck is inserted very deeply in the stunningly beatiful Ash body, (that picture doesn't show my bass but it looks exactly so only with deeper wood grain) and the neck pickups hinders slapping and popping techniques. It does make a perfect reggae bass, with a deep earthy "Bump". I suspect that the last owner probably was a reggae player since it was strung with flatwounds for even more deep dub. But I also discovered that it can do a very funky "School days" when the bridge pickup is solo'ed. All in all a very cool tone. I hope it improves after the repair is finished.