Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I bought one of the orange Yamaha BB414's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Jun 16, 2005.

1. ... and to be honest - it is a great bass. I have a 78 Jazz and an 80 4001 also - but I plan on using the Yamaha as my #1. It really does sound good - and after a set-up ( which was very much needed) and some good strings - it plays good too. I have been a snob in the past - and have played some pretty crappy imports to be honest. But this one is a winner - and it looks cool too.

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you're talking the orange BB414 with the P/J vol/tone toggle you're right. I use one at the store for lessons and I love it. I have it set just right for me and when I can afford it, it will probably be my next purchase.

The neck is great and you get 3 very useful tones form each pickup combination;

neck position "P" that is very "P-like"
    bridge position "J" that is vey "J-like"
    nice blend in the middle

For $400, you can't go wrong. It's a great passive 4 string. I'd like to hear it with flats for some "old school" vibe.

I have a Yamaha BB605 5 string (got it for $350) that is my main bass. I've had no trouble with it, it's light, plays well and sounds great - especially when I put a Bartolini premp and pickups in it.