1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I bought one of the orange Yamaha BB414's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Jun 16, 2005.

1. ... and to be honest - it is a great bass. I have a 78 Jazz and an 80 4001 also - but I plan on using the Yamaha as my #1. It really does sound good - and after a set-up ( which was very much needed) and some good strings - it plays good too. I have been a snob in the past - and have played some pretty crappy imports to be honest. But this one is a winner - and it looks cool too.

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you're talking the orange BB414 with the P/J vol/tone toggle you're right. I use one at the store for lessons and I love it. I have it set just right for me and when I can afford it, it will probably be my next purchase.

The neck is great and you get 3 very useful tones form each pickup combination;

neck position "P" that is very "P-like"
    bridge position "J" that is vey "J-like"
    nice blend in the middle

For $400, you can't go wrong. It's a great passive 4 string. I'd like to hear it with flats for some "old school" vibe.

I have a Yamaha BB605 5 string (got it for $350) that is my main bass. I've had no trouble with it, it's light, plays well and sounds great - especially when I put a Bartolini premp and pickups in it.