I bought some cassettes today!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by clef360, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Ever since I got my cd player stolen from my car, i've been using my stock radio, which only has radio and tape. So i've been forced to deal with the crummy radio every time I drive because I don't like silence. So today i was at Tower Records and there were some cassettes, 3 for $10. I got myself some billboard hits from the 50s, sly and the family stone, and some bela fleck thing. Anyone here still using cassettes?
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Nope. You want some? I'll send you twenty or thirty of them, if you're willing to spring for shipping. Got classic rock, blues, fusion, and a few odds & ends... drop me an e-mail if you're interested.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I still have loads of cassettes I recorded on high quality tape - mostly of Classical music. I belonged to the local music library and borrowed loads of Classical CDs and recorded whatever I liked - often I researched and found that there were better recording available and bought these on CD, but still kept the cassette version as it was interesting to compare the same pieces of music , as played by different orchestras/conductors.

I found that high-quality tapes (unlike most pre-recorded ones) recording from CD can be pretty good for sound quality and are still usable/listenable.

Funnily enough - when I bought my car, the one thing wrong with it was a lack of decent CD player and I used to play these Classical cassettes all the time - but then my car was broken into and the whole stereo unit ripped out and my insurance paid for a new CD player as they said you couldn't buy cassettes!

At the time I thought it was a good deal for me - but then I started getting higher premiums and realised I would have probably been better off not claiming and paying for it all myself!! :meh:
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bruce, do you have a Discman? Buy one of those CD-to-cassette adaptors and enjoy!
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Eh? What for? :confused:
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Playing CDs over your cassette car radio.
  7. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000

Cassette Deck for the PC

The PlusDeck 2 is a full-logic cassette deck for your PC. Use it to archive your old cassette tapes of 80s hair bands into digital media files for playback on your PC. Or better yet, archive your favorite audio files or streams onto cassette - perfect for playback in your '78 Midget that is still not sporting an in-dash CD player. (Those of you still in the 8-track days will have to keep waiting for a PC-friendly solution I'm afraid...)

Myself, I see the PlusDeck as the ultimate in retro-cool PC mods. Add a CoolerMaster Musketeer for the analog gauges, and you've got some nice old-school sweetness in your modern day gaming rig.

PlusDeck 2 PC Cassette Deck

Records sounds, MP3 files, and internet streaming audio from PC onto Tape
    Hi quality record/playback as Hi-Fi audio
    Convert cassette tapes to into MP3 files
    Full-logic controls
    Dub voice with mic on Tape.
    Tape Speed 4.75cm/sec
    Wow & Flutter 0.09%(WRMS)
    Frequency Response 30~18,000Hz
    Separation 40dB
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio 55dB
    Included recording software requires Win95/98/ME/XP
    Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
  8. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    How much is it? And does it work for Windows 2000 Pro?

9. Bruce Lindfield

10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    As a working musician I need to be able to play whatever people give me, wether it's a CD, a mini-disk, MP3's or Cassettes. A lot of people still give me cassette tapes. Like Bruce said, decent quality tapes through decent tape decks sound pretty darn good. And most PA systems have got a tape deck, making it easy to throw your sound guy a blank tape to record the gig. You can't exactly throw him a CD for that purpose and most PA operators around here don't have Mini-disk players yet.