1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I bought the Eden WT-550 and I am disappointed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hypnotize, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Hypnotize

Hypnotize

May 26, 2006
    Hi, I play mostly funk and rock on a 94' Sterling. Recently I wanted to upgrade my amp so I bought a WT-550 and 410XLT from Eden. I don't know why I was so thrilled to buy it in the store, but when I got home I was very disappointed with the sound. I tried to play with the equalizier (which is awesome BTW) but no results. It is very loud, no argument here, but I don't think it is fast enough for funk playing. The highs sound too artificial and it lucks the punch I needed. I remembered the GK rig I heard long time ago and I am depressed I didn't go for that rig.
    Not to mention it is very highly priced.
    The amazing thing is everyone prefers Eden over GK and other brands.
    For me Eden is too much overrated.
    Am I missing something?
    Any thoughts?

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone prefers Eden over GK, and at least not you. If you bought it new... can you not return it and purchase the GK? If not... sell it and use the funds to buy a GK.

you could also try turning the "enhance" knob back down...

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Eden has it's own tone, for sure. I love it!

I kind of put GK in the same camp as SWR, a little on the sterile side.

4. +1, Eden amps and cabs definitley have a tone all to themselves, very unique flavour which I absolutely love.

Fair enough that you don't like it. Eden's are fantastic amps, but I don't think you're missing anything, sounds like you just don't plain like them! Return it for something you truely love!

I suggest you check out Markbass amps and cabs, they're great! Lightweight, sound awesome and I find them very punchy. Good luck!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's a good point - I always advise people to turn this down completely and use the EQ - so left or counter-clockwise!

Also, the EQ only needs small adjustments from "flat" (12 Mid-day)to make a big difference - it can sound bad if you are too extreme with the knobs!! ;)

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yep, generally anything more than a couple clicks of a knob either way from flat is way too much.

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  8. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Dont mean to high jack his thread but i have a problem kinda like his. I have a GK head i love very easy to EQ but i also have an Eden Nemisis 200w 410 combo that is tricky to EQ. I don't like how Eden splits the treble and mids in half on the knobs instred of 1-10 like most amps. The Enhance befuddles me ...what is it? Eden amps are strange and i get a good tone but even downloading the manual i got a bit confused on the settings but never on any other amp...im used to dialing 1-10 and letting it alone.

9. You may want to try the head with a different cab before you give up on Eden.

I found that Eden cabs have a distinct midrange character. IMHO, it's great for finger and pickstyle, but I didn't dig the slap tone as much.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use an Eden 550 and 210XST - 4 ohm. I think they sound great. Be carefull with the enhance, and as was said, a click or two of the EQ goes a long way. It takes time to get used to a new amp. You have a nice rig, maybe you just need to play around a bit more.

Is the cab a 4 or 8 ohm? That makes a big difference with the 550. It sounds WAY better pushing a 4 ohm cab. Maybe try that?

I used to be on a gear merry-go-round and have decided that with what I have now I should be able to get all the different tones I need. The more I dig in and really learn what th egear I have can do, the more my G.A.S. goes away.

Of course, as was also said, this juts may not be the rig for you. Do what you gotta do.

11. +1 to all of the above. Based on the comments of the thread originator, it sounds like some EQ and setting problems. As others have said, start out 'flat' on the head. Just a small touch of bass and maybe a very slight usage of the enhance should fix the issue.

Also, make sure you don't have the tweeter set too high. Many make the mistake that the 12 o'clock setting is 'flat'. The straight up tweeter setting is arbitrary, and the Eden cabs can sound quite honky and harsh with the tweeter up too high. Try that tweeter at around the 9 o'clock setting.

Also, if you have the WT550 running into an 8ohm 410XLT, IME it can sound a little thin at higher volumes, so that could be adding to the issue and tone description that you posted.

12. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I have had a WT-500 for over 5 years now and I'm still tweaking and learning to make it sound better. The Eden EQ is very flexible but it takes some time to learn how to use it. Don't give up until you have spent a fair amount of time getting used to the amp.

13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Have you had a chance to play it in a band setting? The Eden cabs cut through great. Listening to it by itself is not that impressive. The WT series are great amps, but like everything, it's personal preference. Listen to it in a band setting, and I think you will feel better about your purchase

14. Yes, with Eden amps it's strongly recommended that you read the owner's manual and follow the "Initial Set Up" instructions exactly and in order. Once I did that, I was very happy with my tone. If you've done that and you're still unhappy, by all means return it for something you like better.

15. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Everyone? :eyebrow:
    Not me. I'll take GK tone over Eden tone any day.

Yeah. Use your ears when checking out equipment. I'm guilty of it too, but you can't go by what other TBers say. You just have to try out the gear for yourself and let your ears be the judge.

16. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    PROOF that it's alll different strokes for different folks, as mentioned earlier.

I find the eden's to be jsut about the epitome of plug and play- hardly a tweek needed. I also find the EQ section to be VERY intuitive.

I am assuming the smaller edens are a near enough approximation to the 550 you are discussing.

anyway, no need to be unhappy with such and expensive peice of gear. Trade that bugger back in and get what you like.

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY

+1. Set the gain and master controls per the manual's instructions.

The WTs naturally have some tube-driven wooliness in their DNA, but the EQ on the Eden has the ability to completely change the sound of the amp. Rather than dialing in lots of highs and lows -- which can sound artificial -- I'd experiment with each of the three semiparametric mid controls before you give up on the amp.

18. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    +1 - Even though I've got the "budget" Eden Nemesis NA650, I found that tweaking the semiparametric mids was the key to getting great tones, both in a band setting and solo.

19. "Flexible" can mean bad tone if you don't get it set right. Like everyone else has said, set it flat, and turn the enhance knob down almost all the way - or even off. That's a killer amp, but if you tweak too much you can end up with an overprocessed tone and then the tendency is to tweak some more, only it gets worse with more tweaking. Best to go back to flat and work from there.

20. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I've played one for a while. I don't dislike it, I just prefer other amps. It's not often that I hear a tone that blows me away, but one night, I heard an opening band that just killed. The bassist was using a Thumb bass into an Eden 550 with an Eden cab. Odd, because, this setup is not for me, but he made it work really nicely.