Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Bought the Yorkie (Like Anybody Really Cares)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, I snagged the 200 watt 2 X 10 combo. Thanks to one and all for the pre-purchase guidance.

Riis

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Why wouldn't we care? Congrats on your new amp!!!!

3. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    mines on the way :hyper:

4. i actually got one aswell recntly. well actually just the new XS400 head, since my old head the older 400 yorkvile head was stolen. i run it through a 4X10 and 1X15 yorkvile cabs, the older ones with the blue carpet on the sides...if any one cares....

5. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I care.

I LOVE that amp (Zooberwerx, I mean). A friend of mine has it, her parents bought it for her, pretty much randomly choosing an amp, and there I was with my fancy new $1050 ampeg B-2R and BSE-410HLF drooling over her combo. It put me to shame.

6. Of course we care! Congrats on a great amp.

Cheers

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Helpful hint for XM200 owners: Run your Sansamp BDDI in front of the -6dB input. It adds some tasty subtle compression while eliminating the "nasalness" inherent in solidstate amps....but you guys already knew that, right?

Riis

8. Can you tells us any thoughts after having it for awhile?

9. That's really sad to hear. I used to have their previous incarnation...the 400 w/ just the graphic eq. and nary a problem. A really reliable piece. Guess the ol' adage is true, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

10. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'll give the Yorkie a somewhat premature thumbs up. I've been sitting in front of thing plucking and tweaking (you know the routine). I need to drag it to a couple of practices for the real roadtest. This is the BassMaster XM 200TC which is all solidstate, no chance of any dead channels here. I have never seen any of the upscale XS models. I bought the Yorkie as a practice / backup / small gig rig only. My expectations are realistic in terms of value and performance.

Riis

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey SMASH, again, sorry you got a couple of bum units. QC has tightened up and improved since your comments were noted.

And this thread is (originally) about the XM200T, not the XS400H.

Try out the XS800H, should be out in a few weeks. I think you'll be pleased with it.

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have the XS400T, after previously owning the BM400.

IMO, the XS series is a VAST improvement over the old BM and B series amps, I encourage you to try them out if you get a chance. Better sounding (tube) preamp with overdrive, adjustable contour (now known as "scoop"), better EQ..parallel effects loop (adjustable level)...and the 2x10 option in the combo...plus more!

In the same way, the XM series of amps are much much better than the BM predeccesors as well. Really, you should try them and see!

13. I care...I want a new amp,but I dont even own the one I am playing through

14. Rev,
    That sounds reassuring...I hate to see companies ever take two steps backwards to change for the sake of change. And I would try the new Yorkville stuff if I needed a third amp. (It's tough to compete with my '2nd' rig - an Aguillar DB680 and a Stewart 1.2). I'm still on the fence about Canadian products these days as well...our friends to the north haven't been very nice to us in the press recently.

15. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I, for one, have complete confidence in the country that brought us Wayne Gretzky, maple syrup, Molsons, doughnuts, Gordon Lightfoot, Michael J. Fox, Dudley Doright, and French-Canadians (they love Virginia Beach).

Riis

16. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    Agreed!

Don't forget Neil Young, Geddy Lee and Rush, and the McKenzie bros.......

...Ok maybe the McKenzies aren't really from the "Great White North", but they're funny as hell...

I have the Yorkville XM100C and it's a quality amp.

17. Yeah...Geddy. I know. Everytime I decide not to buy something Canadian, I feel the need to say a little homage to Geddy and the boys.

18. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    What are you talking about??? :eyebrow:

19. I honestly don't want to turn a thread about Yorkville into a political commentary. However, those keeping up with current events here in the States have recognized a noticable distain by Canadians towards the US foreign and domestic policy. Broadly speaking, of course; (no offense to the minority -supportive of our [U.S.A.'s] positions). As of now, I know of no outright boycott of Canadian goods (yet), but being labled as an 'evil nation' (Reuter's Opinion Poll 7/04) does give one pause to think about where we spend our 'evil' money.

20. Too late. It seems that you did, right? :rolleyes:

Did you mean disdain? We're primarily bassplayers here. Couldn't we just stick to that premise and skip the sweeping generalizations? Do you play a Fender, Musicman or Sadowsky?

In both countries there are debates both pro and con on a wide range of issues, but one thing is for certain - I know of not a single Canadian who wasn't angered and upset by 9/11. Canadians numbered among those who died on that day too.

Elected officials in both countries get to serve out their term and if they make mistakes, with luck they will get voted out. If, as a people, Canadians are guilty of anything it's apathy... we're too complacent here. There's a safe generalization. Let's leave it at that.

Edit: Please note... absolutely no offence is intended here. Perhaps polical debates belong on the political boards.

Thank you. Back to the regularly-scheduled topic.