Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I bought this Mosrite bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Herm, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Even though I don't know too much about them, I bought this Mosrite bass today for a price that I thought was so ridiculously low, I laughed out loud all the way home from the purchase. Any bass at $25 is a steal, even if it's a piece of junk. Like I said, it's a Mosrite bass, and as soon as I get a picture of it, I'll post it up here for you. I know about the Ventures guitars and basses they made, and I'm also sure this bass is from the mid 60's (serial number B0063), but I don't think it is a Ventures bass. It has a three tone sunburst finish, and has some wiring problems (no problem, I'll probably redo the electronics in it anywho).

Does anybody have a good knowledge of their basses?
    Can you help me determine if it's worth anything (Surely worth more than $25, in any case)?

Herm

2. morsejohn

morsejohn

Sep 8, 2000
    The man that makes Mosrite lives here in the city of Bakersfield and has a shop on the east side. I heard all his basses go for over a thousand dollers each. One was auctioned off to a oriental man for around 10 to 15 grand. I heard the pickups were wound with that thing on a sewing machine that winds the tread.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Ventures models have a Ventures logo on the headstock.

4. Since my original post, I found that out from another website. I'm still working on getting a photo posted (my digital camera is loaned out to someone indefinitely - it seems).

morsejohn,

If these things are selling for that kind of money, I'll be a very happy man. 25 bucks! yeash! There was no case, though - Oh well. Do you know how to get a hold of the guy that makes them? Are they still making them?

I've already fixed the wiring problems, and did some neck work to it. The neck was skewed, so the bass strings were closer to the edge of the fingerboard than the strings on the treble side of the neck. Wasn't a big problem to fix. It plays and sounds pretty good now.

Herm

5. morsejohn

morsejohn

Sep 8, 2000
    His name is Gene Moles "dr of guitars"
    3122 Niles
    Bakersfield Ca (I'm finding the zip #)
    (661) 872-1730

6. Thanks dude, I'll have to call him tomorrow. I'll let you know what he says!

Herm

7. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    The Ventures owned the company moserite. They were called "The Ventures Mosrite." The Ventures don't play Moserites though. Nokie Edwards plays a custom fender tele with two humbuckers. If you have any early Venture albums, there will be pics of moserites on them. It was an endorsement in a way.

8. Hold the presses, we need to get some historical facts straight here. Moserite guitars were designed and early guitars built by Semie Moseley and he did in fact build Nokie one of the first guitars and there was a Ventures model guitar and bass. However the Ventures never owned this or any other guitar company, you may also recall that later they pledged their allegence to Fender guitars. The gentleman mentioned may well have been a part of this history but please let's give credit where due. The Ramones also used Moserite guitars do you think ther is some link in that?

9. Um, unless I am mistaken, Mosrite ceased to exist when Semie Moseley died in 1992. There is a company that has ripped off the name and is making high priced reproductions. There is also a company called Mosrite of Japan which has nothing to do with the original company, and frequently pirates Semie's designs.

And yes, Johnny Ramone has used a Mosrite since the Ramones began.

Herm, check out eBay. Your bass is probably worth anywhere from $750 to $1000, depending on the condition. I assume that it isn't the Ventures model?