1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i broke a string on a bass a guitar center

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, May 6, 2006.

1. i was trying one of the basses they had on display and broke the d string. i felt like such a jerk and then i just left.:rollno: any body else break a string on a intrument in a store, or on a bass that they dont own. tell me your story.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just tell them that it broke when you were playing it. They can't make you buy new strings. And strings break often enough anyways. Though I am curious of how you did it on a bass.

3. I've never broken a string, period.

Thank you, and goodnight. :smug:

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Neither have I.

5. it was out of tune and i turned the wrong peg because i wasnt paying attention. i trying to tune the g which was flat. i was turning the peg for the d string then it went pop and i was like i am such a dufus. then i left

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I broke a G string one time back when I was a Chippendale dancer.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Dude, THAT is not a pretty picture!

8. a00nick

a00nick

Dec 28, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I jsut broke a G-string (hehe) the other day for the first time. It sucked, my bridge got all messed up and im having it redone as we speak. $30 dollars later ill have my bass back:meh:

9. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Geez, I haven't broken a bass string in years. I did break a G now and then and once I did break and E. That one was weird it snapped at the nut so it must of been a bad string.

10. Don't sweat the broken string so long as you didn't damage the bass.

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

I broke a BC Rich Bich guitar string, I believe it was either the G or the b.

I just put it back up as well.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I had an E string break once. It was certainly a bad string.

13. i have broken 4 e strings 5 g strings and one A string(in 2 years), D strings are invincible i have decided, how did you break one? :D

14. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Don't worry about it; they have insurance. That's what they tell ME anyway. It seems like the one bass I want to play at Guitar Center is always hung up j u s t out of reach. No problem getting it down, but now and then I need a hand...um...getting it up. :scowl:
    I usually try to laugh it off; "I'm an inch too short. I've never had THAT problem before!" They laugh, hang the bass back up. Then tell me I could smash it on the floor if I wanted--they have insurance.

So I wouldn't worry about breaking a string.

15. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've broken the D and E strings on my bass.

Mwahaha.

-Dash

16. I've broken bunches of strings.

One day I was playing a show and snapped an A string 2-3 songs into the set. The guy in the band that played before us let me use his bass- I snapped his A at the beginning of the next song...:meh:

17. I wouldn't have worried about it, I bet the next person who tried it out probably only played power chords so wouldn't have noticed ;)

Matthew

18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I've broken butt loads of strings, and I have a light touch... what the hell is going on?

19. Nooco

Nooco

May 4, 2006
    Finland
    G string twice. First time I just had tuned it few times too high (somewhy). And second times I was a bit drunk and popped the string too hard...

20. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Broken absolutely nothing so far.

Which means to say:
    No bass strings in my year+, no viola strings (Hell, it always stayed in tune so all I had to use were fine tuners) guitar, DB...all that good stuff.