1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I broke a string tonight

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by punkbassistfc, Mar 18, 2008.

1. I broke my low E string tonight, first time ever. I have a set of dr lo-riders on it 50-110. It's very weird but it broke up near the bridge. I play in a pop-punk band with a pick and tune to standard flat. Juast thought i would share that

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks for sharing.

3. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Just curious - how long have you been playing?

4. I used to break strings now and then... I used to play with 1mm thick picks. Now I use Tortex .73's (the yellow ones) and I haven't broken a string since. Actually, I've had the same string on my bass for months !

5. :)

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    :crying:

Suck it up young buck.:ninja:

7. Similar thing happened to me, though the low E was downtuned to C# and playing pretty aggressive, pretty fast and the string lost its stretch on the bridge. Thank god I was just practising and had those strings for quite a while.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I broke my E string last night at a gig while playing a song in drop-D. Had to finish without the low E because I had no spares (and I am the guy that ALWAYS has spares, I even carry extra guitar strings just in case). I was also using DR Lo-Riders, but I have been playing them exclusively for 2 years and this is the first one I've ever broken. I should have known better though, because I had lots of gigs lately (3 of the last 4 nights) and they were already a couple months old. Mine also broke near the bridge, but I play fingerstyle (and I have the blisters to prove it:)). I've broken plenty of D'addarios and EB Slinkys in the past though, but I had never broken a DR until last night. But, hey the show must go on. Thank goodness it was out last set though.

9. They usually break at the bridge for me too. Well, saying that, when they brake (which is rare) its at the bridge!

I keep breaking G strings, if only the women were forgiving :crying:

10. :scowl: no! no more stupid G string jokes:p

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Always have a spare set of strings and a spare bass when you play ...

:hyper::bassist:

12. werks

werks

Dec 4, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    check your bridge saddles for burrs of metal. A lot of times there are very minute burrs that can cause the strigs to break. I have seen this more on guitars but it is not unheard of on bass either.

13. BURR!

14. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    The ONLY string I've ever broken was a set of DR Lo-Riders. I've never broken any others.
    :eyebrow:

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've never broken a bass string. Not in 20+ years of playing.

But... I play about 99.5% fingerstyle and never hammer on the strings like I'm chopping firewood.

16. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    A burr on the saddle is not likely to be the cause of an E string breaking. That burr would have to cut through several layers of string windings to get to the core. My experinece breaking strings (D'Addario Xl series 85's on my P bass, and D'Addario, GHS, DR 45's of various alloys on my Hamer Cruise w/2-TEK bridge) is that it's the core that breaks, not the windings coming apart.

If you're hitting the string hard it's moving a lot at the bridge. The flexing will cause the core wire to break eventually. If you can reduce the break-over angle of the string that may alleviate the problem. Lower the saddle. You may need to check the neck for shims to get the action where you need it, and it may be too much effort for the solution. Another solution is to just change strings. The last two times I broke strings on stage, it was on days when I thought to myself "I really should change strings or play another bass tonight".

jte

17. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Yeah, I was just wondering, as I've been playing 20+ years, owned around 20 basses, and I've never broken a string. I probably just play like a big sissy. :D

Good stuff there on myspace. :bassist:

18. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Its probably more of an issue for pick players than fingerstyle players. I play fingerstyle, but, when I'm not playing a ballad or something Motown-ish, I usually play down by the bridge with lots of right-hand attack. I bet Geddy would break strings all the time if he didn't change them before every show. In any case, my experience is like JTE's...I should have known to change the strings before last night's show or at least made 100% sure I had an extra set. Like I said earlier, I've been using Lo-Riders for 2 years of regular practices and gigs, and I've never broken one until last night, so it's not like it something that happens all the time.

19. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Been playing electric and acoustic for 40+ years and have never broken a string on either. I figured out a long time ago that I don't have to thrash my bass guitar, even with a pick. It may look really cool'n'stuff, but it doesn't accomplish much of anything soundwise. Let the amp do the work and play lighter-you'll sound better and won't break strings or get blisters.