1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i broke my g string and since i am quarantined i cant get a new set how do i fix the string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bruhhhh, Apr 5, 2020.

1. bruhhhh

bruhhhh

Apr 5, 2020
    jordan
    it broke at the peg

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

didn't you keep your old set of strings?

roccobass, Jim Carr and eddododo like this.
  3. bruhhhh

bruhhhh

Apr 5, 2020
    jordan
    its my first set of strings

Outshined91 and HaphAsSard like this.
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    PM sent.

5. Welcome to talkbass!
    Not sure where you are but can you order a new set on-line and have them delivered?

Ekulati, dbbltime, pcake and 8 others like this.
  6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

Cardsfan_69 likes this.
  7. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I was gonna mention, I’ll mail you a set of used strings. They are EB Power Slinkies. As I change strings every few weeks, I have plenty...

RBrownBass, roccobass, Afc70 and 13 others like this.
  8. bruhhhh

bruhhhh

Apr 5, 2020
    jordan
    no

9. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Wrong.

GreyMark and GravyGoodness like this.
  10. bruhhhh

bruhhhh

Apr 5, 2020
    jordan
    what do you mean no?

11. bruhhhh

bruhhhh

Apr 5, 2020
    jordan
    fellas i cant buy new strings it is literally illegal to step outside your home no exceptions in jordanwhich is where i live

12. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Okay, why not?

I replied to the post where you said no to the question of can strings be bought online and delivered to one’s home. At least, that’s how the thread appeared. I replied, wrong, meaning one can indeed buy strings online and have them delivered to their home. I’ve been doing it for several years.

Did I miss something?

Okay, you can’t go to your mailbox or open the front door and pick up a package that’s been delivered to your door?

Okay, I guess you are screwed until you can get mail again. A string can be tied as long as the knot isn’t in the speaking length of the string. I know this from splicing broken piano bass strings back in place. Preferable to replacing the broken string with a news one that sounds very different from the existing old ones. I’ve never tried this with bass strings.

Good luck, I guess.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    GreyMark likes this.
  13. bruhhhh

bruhhhh

Apr 5, 2020
    jordan
    no worries, I cannot order online as my country has entered full quarantine and it is illegal to go out except for a certain time, only very small neighborhood minimarkets are open

14. I lived in Jordan for a bit & read that their lockdown has been the MOST strict. I assume mail services are on-hold for now.
    Next time you change strings, get two packs. One to go on the bass & one as a spare.

Dave3, btmpancake, RBrownBass and 6 others like this.
  15. You should fill in the info in your profile under "Personal Details > Location" so people can see where you're based and respond accordingly.

16. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    And keep some of the old ones when you change out strings....

(I save a few old ones for spares in case I break one, yeah, occasionally. And when I need new(er) strings for my fretless bass. I hate new strings on that bass. I use the full ones on it until they go thunk and won’t in tune. Usually lasts a year)

Ross W. Lovell likes this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Your G string is the easiest to play around unless you need those highest five notes.

Consider it a challenge.:thumbsup:

18. bruhhhh

bruhhhh

Apr 5, 2020
    jordan
    there's a certain lighter timbre to the G string and i cant play chords on the high register

Tommy V and thabassmon like this.
  19. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    there's no real way to fix it. you just have to wait it out.

20. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I guess you're limited, but you can still play. Hopefully this will end sooner than later. Sounds like Jordan has the right idea to stop the spread.

Tommy V and eddododo like this.