Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I broke my G-String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, Feb 9, 2002.

1. I was playing today my usual songs with band and as I am slapping a part my G-string sort of unwinds typething. So it's broken. I was really pissed off cause it was the first time i broke a string and i didn't have a spare at the time. But i went to GC and bought a heavier gauge thinking that it will make it harder to mess up. Was this a good choice or should have i just stayed the same since it may happen to the best of us? Will the harder gauge make a it harder to break and will it make it harder to slap?

2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    i broke my g-string once. it sucked, i had no place to keep all those doller bills. but i just worked the pole till my song was over and it was all good.:p :D ;)

3. :D :D
    Overused, but man was that funny.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I break strings constantly. Sometimes they break less frequently if I file my bridge a little. If there are any sharp points on there it'll make you break strings a lot easier.

5. I slap so hard that they break at the bridge a lot. I really haven't found a solution to the problem, but they have broken less frequently lately for whatever reason. (after saying this, they'll probably break 2morrow!)

6. I've broken all of my strings except my G string. Yes folks, even my B string. Little bugger just broke right at the bridge. A heavier gauge will help and will just take a litle while to get used to but won't be a big problem.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ...but just think of all the jokes you can tell your friends!!

on a serious note, i used to have that problem until i learned how to control my popping technique. no more breaky-breaky fo' me!

8. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    I did that, but in a much stupider way. I was trying to see how high I could tune it. So I start to play and... snap!

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Bass strings shouldn't break. I can hold my heavy Spector by the G-string alone.

If your strings break, send 'em back to the factory with a nice letter saying that you've been using their strings for years and have never had a problem.

It's entirely possible for a string manufacturer to make a bad batch. I've encountered that with all kinds of manufacturers:mad:

They should be able to replace the broken string for you.

Another thing you may consider is to have extra sets of strings on hand for just such an occasion.;)

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I don't know if a manufacturer would eat the cost... But I do know I haven't broken a string since Ronald Reagan was president. Some of you guys play pretty hard.

12. I've never broken a string, and i really cannot see how you could... I think maybe its your bridge than your strings, or just your playing. Try lightening up your attack a bit. Remember the softer your touch is, the faster your speed is (for those of you who believe speed is everything ;) ).

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've never broke a G...E's, B,s and one A, but never a G...

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Breaking a string about every 2 weeks? Something's clearly wrong! I've been playing almost 19 years and have broken 4 strings, 3 of which were low "E" strings from defective batches. I returned strings on 2 occasions to the manufacturer and 1 occasion to the store in which I bought the strings from.

Dean Markley was very apologetic in the letter they sent me accompanying a new string.

GHS never responded to me, but they were kind enough to understand when I wouldn't give them any more business.

The strings I returned to the store were DR. For obvious reasons I cannot comment on DR's customer service, but the store took 'em back and replaced the whole set for no charge.

Those are my very real experiences with strings. If you've got different experiences, then I suggest you reconsider what's going on;)

15. I broke my E string once :D ! I was playing and all of a sudden the whole string went loose and then bad out of tune, and when I retuned it, it did it again in a few seconds. I looked at the string and at the head the string was unravled.