1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i broke my toe.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Sep 28, 2008.

1. it hurts.

is there a spint i can buy or something? or should i tape it to the toe next to it?:confused:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There are toe splints, but don't tie it to the next toe. It will heal crooked if you do that.

Just wrap the toe a bit so it's got some stiffness around it, and wear shoes that don't put pressure on it. You can't do much about a broken toe.

3. none of my shoes put any pressure.
    i have some electrical tape or duct tape. will that work or should i get some real medical bandage tape?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've broken toes and never done a thing about them. Not much you can do except try to avoid putting pressure on them.

When I broke my little toe, I wore big shoes and walked on the inside of my foot.

5. i broke the toe next to the big toe. i was playing football barefoot and got stepped on.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Nah, get some of that med tape that only sticks to itself. It won't pull hair, and it is stiffer.

7. ill pick some up tomorrow. maybe a splint if i see one.:meh:

8. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    +1. Don't worry about the splint. You'll suffer but it will lessen after a few days. Try to stay off it as much as possible.

9. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I broke my second toe all the way through the bone years ago. Trevorus is right, don't just tape it to the toe next to it.

What you CAN do is to build up the space between the broken toe and the toe next to it with gauze or cotton until the broken toe is held straight, then lightly wrap tape around the two toes. That way it will stay relatively immobile (meaning less pain for you), and it won't heal crooked. Redo it every day after showering.

Mine healed just fine, and like I said, it was a clean break through the entire bone.

-Mark

10. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Use the Yoga Toes that are showing up in the side ad................:bag:

11. yeah ill get it taped up goo tomorrow. it isn't to bad of a break, so i might be able to just tape it and ignore the pain for a few days.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    On what source are you basing that advice? When I broke my toe I had three different doctors (wife, friend and my physician) independently tell me to "buddy tape" it, which is to tape it to the toe next to it. That's standard advice for a broken toe.

bc

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I've seen them heal crooked. It depends on the anatomy of the person's foot (as far as toe spacing). I've seen doctors do it with fingers before, too, and I've seen it heal crooked. My dad's hands are a perfect example.

14. This doesn't help, but I broke the little piggy that went wee, wee, wee all the way home a few months ago. The toenail no longer faces up, but rather almost 90[SUP]o [/SUP] to the right. I apologized to my wife that night for continuing to disfigure an already ugly person. I figure I'm only 2 or 3 more accidents away from a divorce. "Letting yourself go" is one thing. Pushing yourself down a metaphorical rocky enbankment is another.

Mike

15. Whenever I've broken toes they've just kinda left them there..

One time though I ran and hit the little foot stomp thing on the vacuum cleaner... my pinky toe on my right foot was perpendicular to my foot like if you hold your left hand thumb out.

The doctors did a buddy bandage and tied up my last three toes together.