1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I built a bass cab with a 15 on top and an 18 on bottom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Codygx123, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Codygx123

Codygx123

Sep 28, 2020
    I need help with a crazy idea
    So I have this cab I built to house 2 speakers. A 15 inch, 4ohm 400watt 40DB low, and a 18 inch 4 ohm 400 watt 38DB low.
    I play a 5 string bass and want to basically send the lower frequencies of the low B to the 18 inch with a lower DB rating and the rest to the wider range 15.
    will a passive crossover solve all of the my problems? Or will it just work that way?
    I plan on wiring it in series.

Attached Files:

rollie 55, Erik Asma, Ric5 and 2 others like this.
  2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I'm not sure this is going to work out.

I dont really have any specific instructions, but questions.... Are you sure those dB ratings you posted are correct?
    What speakers, again? Did you model them? Are they sharing airspace? Let's start there.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  3. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Yea, separate air space as a first!:thumbsup:

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I have no idea what you are talking about regarding your drivers.

If you are using a crossover (or want to or think you want to), you can't wire them in series or parallel. Each driver would be fed from the output of the crossover.

A passive crossover for the frequencies that MIGHT be useful is going to be both massive and expensive.

It looks like you don't have any experience with this, based on what you have posted. How much money are you willing to waste?

Altitude, Kaplan, MCF and 18 others like this.
  5. Codygx123

Codygx123

Sep 28, 2020

The are sharing air space, the are
    Wharfdale 224d
    And
    Wharfdale
    240?
    as much as it takes to get what I want
    I’ve made speaker cabs before but this is the first time I’m doing something unconventional

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    dB is a measurement of volume, not frequency response.
    If you're using a crossover the speakers aren't in series or parallel.
    You have a lot of research to do before your project is even remotely possible.

What are you hoping to accomplish? People abandoned the myth that you need an 18 to reproduce the lows of a B string over 20 years ago.

7. Speakers ain't what they used to be. These days, bigger ones are usually louder. Without real in depth knowledge, that's about all you can count on.

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Those Wharfedale model numbers are home hi-fi type cabinets and I don't see where you are getting an 18" and 15" from???

What exactly are you talking about, I'm even more confused now than before.

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I'm not even sure that's true... all you can really say is that the bigger one is bigger.

10. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    0wos01.jpg

This is all I need to know about speaker design!

11. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    You can't really get there from where you are. A simple high-pass filter could do the frequency-dividing part, but that can't be accomplished if the speakers are in series. Plus, as previously noted, the two drivers are sharing the same air space. Plus the drivers are home hi-fi speakers. You can't really get there from where you are.

It does appear to be a nice enough piece of construction, though. Good job on that. :)

musicman7722, Bassdirty, xbud and 2 others like this.
  12. Fair enough. I was assuming that within a given model range the larger ones would be larger in order to be louder. But I don't know that.

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    on top of all the other reasons why this will probably not sound that good, if you did correctly use a real crossover between the two speakers, there would be no point in the top speaker being any bigger than like a 6" midrange driver

14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Which is exactly why you're supposed to finish the design before you begin construction.

15. Back to the drawing board...………..

MrLenny1 likes this.
  16. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Huh?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    If this were a "talk me out of doing this" thread i think you'd get a lot of helpful advice!

Looks like a fun project, but... The way you are going about trying to reach your stated goal is not going to get you there, no matter how you wire it together. You've chosen the wrong speakers and built the wrong box. Not to mention the entire premise of your stated goal ignores the basics of psychoacoustics...

18. tenor.gif

He said, "How much money are you willing to waste?"

db59, Claymore, S-Bigbottom and 7 others like this.
  19. IndelibleAccomplishedGyrfalcon-size_restricted.gif

Omega Monkey likes this.
  20. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    For the cabinet to be extraordinary, it would have to be the size of a troll’s house.

DJ Bebop likes this.