I built a bass wall.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonmatthews, Apr 6, 2019.

1. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Ever since I was like 12 I dreamed of having a bass wall. It's been... several... years, but I finally did it.

At first I was just going to buy a bunch of String Swing hangers and put those up, but then I realized if I used studs the spacing wouldn't work for how many basses I wanted to hang up. At the same time my research suggested that they wouldn't even hold 6 string basses, so I wanted to come up with something different. Also the cost of 9 of them was over $100, and I'd have to use the backboards anyway putting the cost around $150.

So, much more research and some test equipment landed me on tool hangers. These were $1 from Harbor Freight (the ones at Home Depot weren't wide enough for 6 string neck either). The width is wide enough to fit 6-string basses, but not so wide that it *won't* fit a guitar (I have one!). These have a vinyl coating which is great. Obviously if you have nitro finishes on your stuff you should not trust anything other than things that are safe for nitro, but I don't have any nitro finished instruments.

So, then the wood. I spaced everything out on the floor and determined my necks would be 12" apart, so I needed 9' boards to get everything right. I chose oak because it's hard and looks nice. I spent a TON of time measuring things, but that's worth the time.

Anyway, so I bought two 10' oak 1x4s from Home Depot -- 9' each for the backs, then an extra 2' to make the base blocks for the tool hangers. I wanted to add the base blocks because the tool hangers have 1.5" of thread (3/8" diameter), and I didn't want to lose any of that. I'm hanging expensive stuff on these, after all, I want as much strength as I can get!

I chose Watco Danish Oil for the finish... I didn't want to stain it, I just wanted it to look like oak. Danish oil seals the wood but doesn't provide tons of protection; these would just be on the wall so it was a good choice. I did three coats, sanding to 220 beforehand, and sanding to 400 during the last coat.

I cut 9 pieces of oak for the base pieces for the hooks, I beveled the top+bottom edges for aesthetic reasons; I would've also beveled the sides but didn't have the appropriate tools. I measured everything out and drilled countersink/pilot holes for everything. I used Spax premium 1.25" screws for this... you don't want to go cheap on your screws, trust me! Especially not drywall screws... Drywall screws have very poor strength in shear (perpendicular to the screw), so they could easily snap with the load of all these instruments.

Once the base pieces were on, I drilled the pilot holes for the hooks... I did 1/4" then 5/16" pilot holes. This is oak so I had to go slow and make sure not to split the wood. Worked great. I coated the threads of the hooks with soap (per the instructions) and hand-screwed them in, there were no issues here.

Getting then on the wall wasn't terrible. I drilled more countersunk pilot holes and used two 2.5" premium screws for each stud. Each 9-foot board is double-screwed into 7 studs... It's solid!

And it's done. I'm pleased with it.

My total cost was...
    Oak - 20 feet at $2.33/ft = $47
    Hangers = $9
    Screws = ~$0.07 each, so $3.20ish
    Danish Oil = Negligible
    So... $60?

Instruments for those who are curious (from top left-right to bottom left-right):
    1995 Fender MIM P-Bass (my first bass)
    2001 Fender MIA Jaco Tribute Fretless Bass
    1998 Fender MIA Roscoe Beck Signature V
    2016 Sire V7 Jazz Bass
    1999 Spector NS-5CRFM
    2008 Ken Smith Black Tiger BSR6TN
    2007 Ibanez 20th Anniversary RG550
    2018 Ibanez Adam Nitti Signature ANB306
    2008 Jackson Custom Shop 5-String (Courtesy of Trans-Siberian Orchestra)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail.

3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    Nice job! I really like it.

jasonmatthews likes this.
  4. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Nice. Same hangers I use.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    New Wall Day!!!!

Looks great.

Bassdirty, Arson-o, dmt and 7 others like this.
  6. very nice!

7. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Really enjoyed your detailed presentation - excellent pics and explanation - great work! And that's quite a collection of basses! I'm sure you're just letting that guitar hold a place for your next bass! :smug:

8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Nice

9. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    The guitar is actually pretty new... I have more basses but put the guitar there instead. I bought one because I was frustrated that guitar players could play so much faster so I wanted to see if it was easier. Turns out it's a lot easier. But it's a ton of fun, I play lots of guitar lately.

10. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    1. Nice report.....detailed and clear.
    2. Nice execution....functional and attractive.
    3. Nice collection....diggin' the Ken Smith.
    4. WTH is that lemony thing in the middle?!?!
    Blasphemy! Apostate! Off with his head!! :roflmao:

Absolutely correct! A cheap screw is never worth it! :D[/QUOTE]

el murdoque, SunByrne, Marikk and 7 others like this.
  11. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    :D :D It's desert yellow, to be clear!

2tonic likes this.
  12. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    If it was clear, then I wouldn't see it's offending countenance, now would I? :roflmao:

Also, that's a fine looking Spector.
    Just sayin'.

13. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA

That Spector is my baby. She's been all over the country with me for hundreds of gigs. That's the one if you ever get asked "if you had to sell all but one, which one do you keep?"... that's the one. Not a great solo instrument really, but for rock music... there's absolutely nothing better in my opinion.

2tonic likes this.
  14. To keep the MIM Fenders out?

15. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice chops...but....since this is a BASS forum.... we'd rather hear ya work out one of the other beauties you have displayed! :D

dralionux likes this.
  16. Congratulations! You also have some wonderful basses!

17. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    No Wal bass on the bass wall?!?! :D
    For real though, that looks great! You may have inspired me to do something similar very soon.

Artman, L Anthony and jasonmatthews like this.
  18. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    Looks great well done next up the wall of speakers, people who moved in next door were banging on our wall Thursday, consensus is to screw a 22” speaker to the wall and start some bass education

jasonmatthews and ctmullins like this.
  19. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    It's...beautiful

Cry Baby.jpg

tzohn, knumbskull, dmt and 3 others like this.
  20. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Nice work, was just thinking about doing a similar, smaller scale project in my abode. The pile of axes in my avatar are all back in their cases...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021