I built a fully floating rack case!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petebass, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Look what I made. It's a fully floating, 2RU rack case. It may be hard to tell on the pic, put it's made from 12mm plywood, seperated by 20mm of packing foam. My amp vents to the sides and doesn't have an internal fan, so I incorporated a couple of 80mm fans the run of 12v power. There's a power board with 4 power points hidden at the back. So far I'm only using 2 (the amp and the 12v adapter for the fans). Front and rear lids are completely removable (none of this trap door bullsheet) and the handle is one of those Ernie Ball heavy duty ones that drill right through the wood and anchor to the other side. Both lids and rack are covered in carpet left over from my home made speaker cabs.

What would I do different. Well it's heavy. 14kg. I might use thinner wood for the inside layer to trim some weight. The fans work brilliantly.
  2. bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    wow! looks great!

Can you give some more details from the building process, so i can try to copy yours. I'm using a SWR 220 studio and would like to have a rack with internal fans.

3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I basically built it from the inside out. I started with the inner box, the one that closest to the amp. I used simple butt joints, timber glue, some screws, and some clamps to join the timber. I cut holes for the fans with a jigsaw, then used a router to sink the holes so the fans wouldn't stick out.

I attached some metal ears so I could screw the amp into place. Then I bought a sheet of foam, cut it to size with a stanley knife, and glued it to the inner case.

When it was dry, I built the outer case in the same way as the inner case and used plenty of glue to ensure it would stick to the foam.

Cover it in carpet using spray-on glue and the rack is done. The lids were quite simple once I found the right latches and corner protectors.

The fans are 12v and draw 0.5 Amps each. I wired them in parallel, meaning I would need an adapter than produced 12v at 1 Amp. These were readily available in the electronice store that sold me the fans.

All up it cost me $300Aus which is about 1/3 the retail price of a similar unit without fans. And I've got timber and foam left over for whatever I decide to build next.

Can you tell I'm happy :)
  4. So much good information here that I'm going to order my hardware and carpet. This I could build it on the fly.. This is extremely easy to do. I was just concerned mostly about the mounting of each componant. The rack rails was a great help and after seeing the picture of them I know I can build them also. I do like the idea of thin panels on a frame. This adds some complexity but not really a problem for me. My fan is on the back of my amp so I can eliminate that altogether.
    To the guy that sent the picture. Nice nice. unusual seeing the trim on front but does well for the looks. And the lid ....that was enough detail for me . Looks like i'm building soon here. What a great help everyone was . I hope this helped a few guys consider building their own.
  5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Excellent job!

I wonder if having a DIY (Do It Yourself) forum would be possible.

There is a lot of talent here, that many of us could learn from and save us some cash.

Just a thought.
  6. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Nice work, Pete! Looks great.
  7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    You have done a great job. I have been thinking about upgrading to a rack, if only I could find a buyer for my TE. Anyway, that seems like the way to go.
  8. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Well done Poida, looks great m8.