Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I burned myself.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Do NOT use starting fluid in a potato gun. Right guard spray is the only way to make potatoes fly. Here's what happens when it backfires:
    [​IMG]

2. Ow!!! I hope it doesn't scar.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    holy crap dude.

did you get that looked at?

that looks like really bad 2nd degree

4. agreed, I have been physically burned alot, daily, but never that bad (other then a small one in my arm that is still full of fluid must be 5 years later). get that checked out now!

Also, if you get it looked at early, they may be able to help with some sort of scar cream to reduce the chances of a bad scar.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, it really hurt. I grabbed my face, and my skin came off. It freaked me out. But it feels alright now. I have been using some spray stuff that really helps. I am glad I wear glasses, otherwise my eye would be in bad shape.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    And the babe's start pouring in... ;)

7. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    ^^Yeah cause chicks dig temporary physical deformities? :confused:

Not that you're deformed or anything. Personally, I rely on hairspray to get my potatoes outta the tube....but to each his own I guess. Keep using the spray, and make sure you cover it at night.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I stick with right guard. The stuff in the brown can is best. NO ETHER!!!! I hope this heals up soon, because taking a shower is going to be a pain in the face.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I always liked lemons rather than potatoes--they're squishier and form a better seal. Aqua Net was my fuel of choice, and lemon juice+aqua net forms this wierd non-stick coating over time in the combustion chamber.

I haven't fired one in years, but I can't wait until my sons are old enough for me to pass this on to. I never had one blow up in my face, either, with this method, BTW ;)

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    One word:

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    *Nelson voice on* Ha-ha! :D

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dude, you really got an "ouchie" there (looks like).... :D

I hope you heal up okay. :)

One suggestion I could make (not that you asked for it, but I'll suggest it anyway.... :D) is Johnson's Baby Oil.

That stuff is great, it'll really help with the situation I'm seeing here.....

Wow, that doesn't look pretty Trev-Man. I hope you're okay, and that you'll recover well enough to live up to that sexy avatar. :D

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So, how exactly did you manage to do this? Looks painful.

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Looks like a classic "hey ya'll,watch this" moment.

15. Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye ;)

16. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I recommend putting a bit more time and money in and making a potato gun that works on compressed air. You can use a hand pump or an electric pump, they are cheap. My friend made an uber-gun that fired a potato about 2 km. It was pretty much a mortar. He modified the barrel to fit golf balls, and they penetrated corrugated iron - more than one sheet. Amazing stuff.

Plus there's no chance of burning your skin off, it's just air.

17. get some aloe vera on that burn! ouch! :oops:

18. Yup, and I imagine that, same in AUS, you would be charged with possession of a firearm.

Crikey - get real! These fun toys are fing dangerous! :rolleyes:

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Sounds cool, but I don't think a potato hitting you the face at that speed is fun either.

Sound pretty dangerous, and you could easily harm, even kill someone with those golfballs.

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I might be moving to a propane squirt sistem, because the fuel is cheap, and it lasts quite a while. It takes just a tiny bit to launch a potato, and you don't have to lug around an air pump. All you need is a tire nipple that threads in, and put it on your end cap. Tighten the cap just a bit more than you normally would, and it's ready. Then all you have to do is adapt an tire fill thing to the propane fittings, which is easy, and you are ready to go. Less stink, as well.