1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I call my first build CC

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JLBW, Mar 4, 2008.

1. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to show some pictures from my first build. I'm working this baby very slowly cause I can't afford to mess it up. Hit me up with comments, suggestions, questions or anything you find appropriate :)

The specs.
    Body: Imbuya
    Neck: 34" 4-string Rock maple/tasmanian blackwood
    Fretless fingerboard: Bouree (native australian desert wood similar to ebony)
    Hardware: Hipshot A-style bridge and ultra light tuners with a bass x-tender
    Pickups: Nordstrand Big Singles
    Preamp: all passive

Here goes.....

Mallisinhelhet.
    Routedandreadyforshaping.
    Almostdone.

All the best

2. Great stuff - interesting shape, a bit tele- a bit strat - with a slant on it. How will you finish her? Natural/oil/lacquer?

3. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    Thanks. Yeah I kind of wanted a mix of a P and a J but my own style (I hope I'm not copying anybody else's design) I'll stain her dark brown and she'll have a matching headstock as well, then just a clear coat of some sort. I haven't decided yet.

All the best

4. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    Thanks Wilser. I really dig your CC model! My CC is short for Chameleon Custom :) I have another shape (that's hopefully gonna be my next project) that I call EC and that's short for Elephant Custom :)

All the best

5. reminds me of the Washburn Bantam when it first came out, looks good

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    That's not a "better" name. It's the same name.:D

7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I enjoy this forum the most. It's fun to watch these projects come along. I also admire the luthiers who put so much into their instruments (often for someone else to enjoy)

8. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    An update on the progress.

I started out free handing the pup cavities and neck pocket but finished them off using a template. After I was done I was so proud of myself for not wrecking my build so I rounded the edges. :)

Pupcavitiesandneckpocketrouted.

Edgesrounded2.

All the best

9. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    Today's progress. I have been working on the neck today and I figured I'd share a few pics. I have limited supplies of power tools so I had to improvise a little. I used a belt sander that a clamped to the work bench. That was interesting for lack of a better word :)

All the best

10. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    Hey everyone,

After a couple of weeks of just playing I finally :hyper: got back in the shed today to finish the electronics cavity and I also finished the arm and belly contour. Here are some pics. It looks a little messy in the back so I just took a few pictures of the face of the body so you can see the pots sticking up :).

PICT0019.

PICT0025.

PICT0023.

All the best