1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can’t find these anywhere.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Toby Dorsett, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Toby Dorsett

Toby Dorsett

Oct 30, 2018
    Borger, Tx
    4BD3874B-9867-4D82-B9B4-FDD89F3347CC. 11C7C6A8-95C9-4741-98C9-273A34992F17. I need these little brass inserts that a machined screw goes into. It holds the control cavity cover on a Spector NS2A
    What is the proper name of the part. and where can i buy them?

2. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I've seen these in the specialty hardware section of Menard's. Maybe it was Lowe's. The beige slidey hardware bins. You know the ones.

Toby Dorsett likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've only ever seen them called threaded inserts.

Toby Dorsett likes this.
  4. Toby Dorsett

Toby Dorsett

Oct 30, 2018
    Borger, Tx
    The picture of the insert I posted is off of eBay. It was located in France for $5.95 + shipping and would take almost a month to get here. I can’t believe I can’t find them. None to the guitar parts suppliers (All Parts, Stewart McDonald, Philadelphia, etc.) carry them and ACE Hardware doesn’t have them in the speciality section.

5. How about Spector, it it's a Spector axe? If they won't, I'm sure the could suggest where to find them. BTW, I would be in not hurry to use those pictured: They seem to be made to push in, with those splines. Would not be in a hurry to beat and bang those into a bass of mine.

Alembic uses a similar threaded insert, but the exterior has reverse wood threads where you screw a same-size bolt into it and screw it into a pilot hole just like a wood screw would be inserted.

I bet our friend Ed of Huncote might know a source, or maybe Bruce.

Toby Dorsett likes this.
  6. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    The Spaenaur Catalog - Spaenaur

Look in the internal threaded nut section, "splined nuts" or "Barb-serts"
    There are many products in the catalog that could be used.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Toby Dorsett likes this.
  7. Toby Dorsett

Toby Dorsett

Oct 30, 2018
    Borger, Tx

8. Toby Dorsett

Toby Dorsett

Oct 30, 2018
    Borger, Tx
    I was trying to get the same inserts that are already in there. I founds the screw in inserts but everything I’ve seen is too big. Besides it just holds a small plastic cover on. I don’t need to torque it down.

9. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    See post #6; they have exactly what you are looking for.

Toby Dorsett likes this.
  10. Toby Dorsett

Toby Dorsett

Oct 30, 2018
    Borger, Tx
    Yes, I saw they have what I need but I just need a couple not a whole box full. They are also located in Canada. I was wanting to finish this project this week. It will take several weeks to get them from Canada.
    Thanks for all the help guys. I think I’m going to remove them all, drill the holes a little bigger and use the threaded inserts. That is if I have enough wall thickness to do so.

11. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    You might call them; they may have American distribution- and inquire about samples. If you only need four, and speak nicely, they may just throw them in the mail for free.

12. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    If I might ask, what's the problem with the ones already installed? If they are cross threaded or stripped, you could fill the threads with JB weld, , re-drill and tap new threads.

13. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Have you contacted Spector? You never know what they might be willing to do. I've received free small replacement parts from a couple companies just by asking how to get them.

- John

14. Toby Dorsett

Toby Dorsett

Oct 30, 2018
    Borger, Tx
    Good idea! I’ll call them tomorrow. Thanks.

15. Toby Dorsett

Toby Dorsett

Oct 30, 2018
    Borger, Tx
    Hmmmm. I can try that. Thanks. I’m going to call Spector too. I was told on here they might do that too.

16. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    mc-master carr and grainger have them in number. you'l have to buy a package though as they don't sell onesies and twosies.

as shown in your picture, they are a common untrasonic staking insert used in electronics assembly and not the best choice for wood, though they function in low torque applications ok.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  17. Toby Dorsett

Toby Dorsett

Oct 30, 2018
    Borger, Tx
    I never would have thought those were for electronics manufacturing. Thanks for finding them for me.