Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can finally read notation!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I can finally read sheet music farely well.
    I finally made a song up today and wrote it into sheet music =D

So how long did it take yall to read notation?
    Im still having trouble with it just a little bit. Like Playing a song for the first time. Its like I learn it first time by ear or tab(yes im lazy but there is seriously nothing wrong with tab as long as its correctly noted and not sloppy). But usually after the first time of going through a song i can read the sheet music and pretty much get it.. so.. hurray! im a happy boy.. I also got my permit today and im getting my license in 2 months.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it only took a little while to learn, but to become really proficient, that has taken several years. one of those moments to learn, a lifetime to master type of things. it comes with time.

3. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    I've tried to learn how to read notation multiple times. But I still think training my ear is more important than trying to read notes.

4. i tried for a bout two months. well nto so much trying, just making it look like i was reading the sheet music and improvising in concert band. haha...i have no future....*bows head in shame*

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Me too. The trick is to practice daily.

6. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    its kinda like starting over learning how to play again once you learned tabs for a year and stuff.
    Ive been taking pretty simple songs that i know and having the tabs and turning them into to notation and reading them so i get used to the notes and stuff. I usually tab out all my stuff though =X so hopefully tis not very wrong (but then again it prolly is)

Im now getting the hang of Music as a whole really, as far as how to construct songs. Reading notation really helps with solos. Before my teacher taught me some stuff about it. I thought well something that ends in B and beings with B is in the key of B.. and never though well what is it if it ends in one key and beings in another... so hes helped me alot as far as that and now i can have solos to fit with the music.
    Usually starting out in a dorian mode and working off that =X. Great now hopefully if i ever meet jazzbo by that time ill be educated in theory enough and wont make myself look stupid. =X or else ill try to make myself look smart but actually do the opposite.

7. Good for you. I never can understand why people bother with tab, I figure if you're gonna learn that, why not just go straight to notation?
    As has already been stated, it's an art that needs to be kept up on a regular basis. The more ya do, the better ya get. You know you're doing OK when you get a call to sub in a big band or similar, there is no rehearsal, and all the charts are notated. You nail it, more or less, and the rest of the band compliment you. THAT is a huge buzz, and not only makes it all worthwhile, but increases your worth and desirability as a bassist about town.

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have been learning standard notation since 4th grade, I was 8. Now I am 16.

I have neen learning sn for over half of my life, 8 years. And I still have a long way to go before I know it all.

It takes a little while to lean. It truly does take a lifetime to master.

9. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    gosh.. i love my new life

Somebody asked me about how many songs i knew on guitar. I said not much probably i dont keep count. Hes like "well i know every korn and limp bizket song and can play it ".. and im like saying under my breath "oh thats nice and i can play all 3 master of puppets solos almost perfect*not quiet perfect*"
    hes like "you prolly haven't been playing long" and im like "nope, do you read tab?"(been playing guitar 4 years off and on but seriously for about a year and bass about the same too)
    hes like "yeah.. do you?"
    im like "no." hes like "then how do you learn" im like "notation" hes like "whats that!?!?!" and gives me this real puzzled look and walks off with his big baggy kikwear jeans following behind him.. =D hes a cool dude though. Maybe i should enlighten him.

LIke ive said. nothing wrong with tab. It does serve a purpose.
    It gets you greatly aquanted with notes and the way they sound. The only thing wrong with tab is if you get lazy and dont progress. Which alot of people tend to do. But if you further yourself musicly and start off on tab then theres completely nothing wrong with it. If tab is noted right and is sort of like notation (sept where is the notes sign is replaced by numbers but with the legs and everything) then,well by god its a great thing and you can sit down and play it without hearing the song!

I tabbed out my song today though. It was Descendents- Grand theme, kinda surfy. It was hard at first trying to figure out and match up stuff and everything. Teachers are the best. =D specially cool ones.IF THEY ARE NINJAS!
    then they are super cool!.. and they get super pissed and flip out on you!" (sorry i had to do it)

Disclamer.. I STILL DO SUCK AT THIS NOTATION STUFF! but im learning. I like it alot more its a bit like learning everything all over again.. its nuts

10. I couldn't tell you how long it took me to read sheet music, since I started learning it 12 years ago (I'm 17 now).

I'm still not good enough at it, though. I can read notation pretty well, and even play a song right for the first time reading it, but I still need to practice writing out stuff. I'm not too good at that.

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I can read. It's hard..if it's complicated then I have to spend some time on it..

12. I could never see the point of tabs either. I guess they are ok to jog your memory if you already know how the tune goes. But if you've never heard the song, how do you know what rhythm to play and how the song really goes. Reading music is not, however an art, it is a skill like anything else. Look at the spot on the paper, push here, pluck there, hold it for so long etc. etc. I know this is a really oversimplified, but, I teach kids how to read piano music 2 hands together everyday. It's worth the trouble to learn to do this, and, any of you you who haven't learned need to be more patient with yourself and stay at it. It's worth it. jmho

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Tabs undermine respect for effort.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Word

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think it's funny how often you say word, because you don't like like someone who should say word... ever.

Yeah notation, nutty stuff. I can read it, but I haven't been doing much lately. But it's good to know that I can power my way through a piece of sheet music (in a couple of hours :rolleyes: )

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What is that supposed to mean?

17. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    i've never really understood what was so hard about learning to read standard notation. it's not like it changes or is some great mystery. you learn the name of the notes, you learn the values of the notes, then you do like GreyBeard said, read the note, play it, read the next one. if you can count to four, you can read music.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    this is how I felt...then my music director at my school slapped the chart to "donna lee" and said "hey you wanna learn this?"
    now I had been trying to figure the song out by ear I had got the first part down, but I was a little off, now I can play the song perfectly and it only took about 4 or 5 days(since I CAN read jsut not fluidly and fluently)
    same with the chart for "teen town" which thanks to reading skills I learned in only a matter of a few days as opposed to the many days I had spent trying to learn it all by ear. my ear is pretty good too, I learn everything by ear, but lately I've been really getting into reading notation, not only do I feel like a beter musician, but I learn new songs :)

heh, my music director can sight read so well....I wish I could. he looked at teen town and boom! nailed it first time round(with about 4 stops and "oh wait-yeah")
    he's been playing his whole life practically he's like 40-something and though he primarily plays guitar and violin he is a good enough musician to sit down on bass or keys and really know what he's doing. he has pretty close to perfect pitch as well...he figures things out by ear in no time....though I wish I was at that level of musicality I also know that with enough dedication I will be so thats cool.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Try doing that with line to Cherokee at 300 BPM.

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What about music in 5/4 ? :)