Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can get a Status Energy lefty fiver for cheap. What are Status Energy basses like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Aug 30, 2004.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've been looking for an affordable lefty 5 string for ages and stumbled upon a used Status Energy Fiver. I didn't really like the design at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

My current main bass is an Ibanez ATK 300 and I like its punchy, modern sound. Will the Status sound equally punchy? Any Status owners around? Please tell me about them. I know they're quality basses, but what do they sound like? Lots of thanks in advance.

Edit: by "cheap" I mean 850 Euros.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Status made a lot of changes to their models. The old numered series (2 2000 3000 4000) was replaced by the Matrix and then the 'E' series (Energy, Elite). From what I can remember the Energy had a wooden neck with carbon fire inserts and the Elite had a bolt on carbon fibre neck like the old 3000.

I think the the Energy had J pickups with a treble contrl similar to the old 3000. I owned a 3000 for 9 years and played every Status made except the current range.

Personally I would go for a carbon fibre neck Status. However the Energy is not a bad bass.

Try it.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    nah, dont get it, leave it just there where it is and let me dispose of it.

:p
    Just kidding.

Lefty basses are rare to come over, even harder to get a decent or higher-end bass. I'd say go try it, and if you like it, then buy it. unless there's a big problem with it, it should be all right

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, that's the problem: I really doubt I'll be able to try the bass first, unless the guy who's selling it happens to live near me.

Yep, this, too, is a common lefty problem.

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I had a Status Energy 5 with humbuckers for a couple of years before someone stole it.. Great bass! It had a really thick punchy tone, quite modern with a good hi-end.. I later changed the preamp to a Bartolini TCT, which i preferred, but it sounded good stock too. I love my Lakland JO, but I still miss that thick modern tone.. It really filled a track, and i had to cut bass on it quite often when recording.

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I just sent the guy who's selling it an email, letting him know I'm interested in the bass. I can't wait. :hyper:

All things considered, the Status seems like a really good choice. I really need a fiver and a bass that'll cut through heavy guitars and synths, and there's no way I'll find a SR5 lefty at an affordable price in this century.

I like the look of Fender Jazzes, but I have my doubts I'm ever going to track down a lefty five-string Jazz for less than 1000 Euros. I know Warwick offer lefty versions of pretty much all of their basses, but I've never been a big fan of their look and sound.

I always wanted a Sting Ray because Flea was a big influence when I started playing, but I guess it's time for me to stop trying to emulate "idols" anyway. In my current state of mind, the fact that you don't see a Status in every second music video makes them "cool" in my book. :bassist:

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I recently saw a Rage Against The Machine Tribute band, and the bassist was playing a Corvette FNA. It nailed the MM tone perfectly, and had a bit more growl as plus. The FNA Jazzman is said to be even better, many here have it. I think the Corvette looks good, too.

Ever thought about Hotwire (the "European Sadowsky") and other European makers? Like Marleaux has a Jazz-like series, maybe you can get them cheaper (they are custom and so a bit more expensive); and the owner/luthier is lefty, so there might be some stock lefty lying around ;)
    If you get this, then its GAS for your next bass, if not, then you have some more opinions

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
  9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Get the serial # and email Rob at Status and ask him what it is. Great bloke and very helpful.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Go with the Status! I have both a Stealth headless and S-1 (with conventional headstock). They sound great even with dead strings. You can't go wrong.

Riis

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have an S2000 and can only agree.

12. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Holy crap, Rob solved the riddle within a few hours. Whatta man. :eek:

The body wood is Utile Mahogany. To be frank, I've never heard of it. -_-

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    End of the story: the bass is mine now. I have to say I'm floored. :eek:

This is SERIOUSLY the best bass I've ever played. The ATK was good, but the Status is better. Its playability is almost insane, and the sound -- damn! So smooth, so full, great lows, great highs, the bass sounds downright stunning fingered, slapped, picked and tapped.

You can switch between techniques easily without having to adjust your sound (which was a problem with the ATK) -- you'll always sound full and thick, never too bright, never too bassy, and you'll always be heard. My bandmates were pretty impressed, too!

I like the Status's slap sound a lot better than the ATK's. Hitting open strings gives you that "ring" you hear in some PRIMUS songs (such as "Dirty Drowning Man" on "Antipop") and popped notes are always punchy. All slapped notes sound really "thick", which reminds me a bit of Flea's slap tone on the last two Peppers albums (must be the "graphite vibe" from the inlays in the neck, I guess ;)), the only discipline where his Flea Bass shines, in my opinion. The Status doesn't quite nail the trademark Marcus Miller sound, but I don't really care. :D

I was a bit worried about the pretty minimalistic electronics (volume, pickup balance control, active treble cut/boost control) at first, but I got used to it quickly and frankly, I don't miss the ATK's 3 band EQ at all.

The active treble/boost control (which leaves the overall volume untouched, by the way, kind of like an ordinary tone control on steroids) gives you a lot to work with,
    and all my ATK's EQ was good for anyway was annoy the hell out of pretty much every mixer guy. "Did you just boost your signal again? Don't you think that's my job?" "But, all I did was dial in some mids in mid-song..."

The bass isn't exactly a looker, but I may post pics soonish. Thank you for listening and good night. :D

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The control system sounds similar to my old Status. I wouldnt be surprised if there's a preset bass and treble boost built in to the circuit.

Glad it all worked out for you.