1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I can hardly hear my G string with new rig. Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicsale12345, Mar 31, 2013.

1. musicsale12345

musicsale12345

Mar 31, 2013
    I recently purchased an Ampeg B500DR Programmable Head with a Hartke XL115 Cabinet. The amp delivers 500 watts into 2 ohms; 350 watts into 4 ohms and about 200 into 8 ohms. The Hartke cab is 8 ohms. I play a custom made bass with low impedence EMG pickups. They are active as I use a 9-volt battery. Strings are light guage round round by GHS. My last few amps sounded fine. Now, with this new rig, the low notes are thunderous and sound great. However, I can hardly hear notes on my G string, especially in the upper register. I've tried many different settings. What is the problem? Is it the cabinet? Thanks!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    More input!!! (A nod to Short Circuit.)

Amp make and model, speaker systems, bass make and model, Pickups, active passive and strings that you use.

Give us some information to go on. :D

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Different EQ. Heavier string gauge. Pickup height adjustment.

G strings can be hard on the upper registers. Y fronts would be more comfortable. :p

4. Monster Cable instrument cable? Amp head sick? Don't know that model of Ampeg so maybe that is the way it is.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    rimshot-o.

Maybe a midscooping issue? Or pickup height issue?

6. After the update:

Could be the amp not liking those pickups or the cab is weak up higher.

Nice rimshot Jimmy.

7. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    If you can, try the cab with a different amp and the amp with a different cab. AFAIK, the XL is a low frequency beast, but doesn't have much highs, so it COULD simply be a bad combination of pickup, amp and cab.

Also, you can plug you bass into your PC sound card. Have a listen with headphones to see if there's a problem with the signal before it even hits your amp.