1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can has bass fuzz?, Soldering Gone Wild: Spring Break '08!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Toasted, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    So, this weekend I'm going to be making two fuzz pedals. One will be for myself and one for my good tone-friend / FX-nutter Jaffrey. I thought you all might like to see how I do it, where I mess up, and where I cover myself in glory. Also, probably where I hideously run over schedule. I've had this circuit on the breadboard a few times over the last little while and I really like it.

First up: Here's the parts, which I sourced from no less than 3 countries. I've chosen super-premium components, IMO the best that my money could buy. I'm using:

Hammond / Eddystone aluminium cast enclosure
    100% full, mechanical, star-ground, true bypass w/ EHX switch
    I'm making my own PCB's on 2oz Copper board w/ Extra Wide Traces (0.03", 0.05" ground)
    Metal Film Resistors
    Wima caps
    Xicon mojo-components
    Alpha Pots
    Neutrik Open-Frame Jacks
    German made 2.1mm 9V Jack
    Green superbright LEDs
    Mil spec solid core, low impedance wire
    22 SWG solder.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to improve this spec I'd be geniunely interested to hear. Here's the bits:

[​IMG]

2. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    I didn't know people were into making fuzz pedals so much!

I'm getting one of those Bonebenders that are being made in the summer from a TBer who makes pedals too.

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I know *nothing* about this stuff, but I'm interested!

Have fun.

M

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Tagging on. Is this a new circuit, or is it a clone or variant of something else?

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    *subscribed to hell* I can't wait to see this!

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In my opinion nothing's ever new in FX pedal design. This is my design whose genesis is one of the classic fuzz circuits than 90% of fuzzes are based on (it won't be hard for even someone who knows nothing about circuits to guess). I've spent alot of time screwing around with different mods and finding what I think works. I've also tried to encorporate a few features that I've seen on other FX and liked, especially in terms of physical construction / wiring.

I'll be doing this from the ground up. I've drawn out the breadboarded schematic, and I've generated a PCB in the ExpressPCB software. Tomorrow it's PCB time.

I'm missing my jacks and switches, hopefully they'll be in the morning's post otherwise that's my first step over schedule. Parts from Chicago have turned up more quickly than parts from Preston. Seriously.

7. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    How are you doing the board, etching at home or sending out?

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Why is this in Luthier's Corner?

9. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't know, but I'm glad it is. I probably would have missed it otherwise.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's in luthier's corner because when I asked a mod (DavidMWilson) whether I should put it in FX or Luthier's Corner he communicated that Paul would rather I put it in Luthier's corner: so that's what I did. After all the reason Luthier’s corner was set up is for this kind of thing. I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

I'm home etching two as prototypes, but whenever I need to make more than two boards I use ExpressPCB in the USA. Their standard order provides about 15 fx-project-sized, double sided, great quality PCB's, screen printed that are unmatched in any other PCB's I've come across at the price.

11. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    can you screen print pcb's ? ive got a heap of screen printing gear sitting in a shed . might be of some use after all...
    what fuzz are you building ... schematic, link?

12. This is awesome, and I glad it landed in Luthier's corner, because this is the only part of the site I ever even look at. Can't wait to hear it!

It would be cool to see someone on here build an amp, too.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Kind of weird, I would of thought a thread about effects would go in the effects forum since it's entirely electronics and little to do with making instruments. But if thats what the boss man wants thats what the boss man gets.

Interesting thread regardless.

14. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi all,

I definitely appreciate the fact that this thread is centered around building, though it really does belong in the effects forum. I'll move it over to the effects forum and will leave a long-term redirect for it.

(the other) Paul

15. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Big Muff I would guess.

16. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Yeah, as bent out of shape as he was when I suggested he build his own Big Muff clone instead of pay $650 for a Skreddy Mayonaise, it looks like he decided to do so anyway. Glad I could save you some money dollars/pounds, Toasted ;) even if it meant making you a little butt-hurt.

17. I wouldn't have said that if I was you....

18. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Why? I didn't mean any offense. Surely Toasted wouldn't get offended just because I said I offended him.

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    My guitarplayer makes them, too.

Make sure it's sturdy!

20. Ok, it just seemed to me that it had a cocky tone to it, that's all, like "I told you so". I don't think it's actually a big muff anyway. He said he's putting in all kinds of different features so it's probably not going to be like any big muff clone on the market.