Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can hear a little crackle?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CSB, Mar 10, 2006.

1. CSB

CSB

Feb 23, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    I can hear a little crackle?

when I turn a knob on my bass I can hear a little crackle through the amp. Is this something I should be concerned about. It does not affect sound and I am very picky, but I do hear it. What are your thoughts?

CSB

2. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    This is extremely common.

The quick fix is to turn the knob back and forth a bunch of times and you will hear the noise become less and less each time.
    A more effective treatment is to give a little shot of contact cleaner (like deoxIT) into the hole in the back of the knob (inside the control cavity) then do the turning thing.

A really bad knob might just need to be replaced.

good luck,

Chad

3. Harmony

Harmony

Mar 5, 2006
    Definitely don't use DeOxit on pots. DeOxit is great for switches, connectors, wire-wound rheostats, etc., but it can dissolve carbon and plastic conductive elements in potentiometers (for volume controls, tone controls, etc.). If you use DeOxit, the control might seem better for awhile, but you're most likely doing damage. Additionally, DeOxit doesn't have the viscosity to give your controls that smooth, damped feeling that they most likely had originally.

Fortunately, Caig http://www.caig.com makes a product expressly for plastic conductive and carbon pots. It's called CaiLube MCL. You need to buy both a large can of 5% solution, and a small can of 100% solution. To treat the offending control, first spray a bunch of the 5% solution into the control to clean things out. Rotate the control a bunch of times. Spray again. Rotate again. Then, wait for some time for the carrier to evaporate. Finally, spray in some of the 100% (it's thicker, and will restore the correct feel, as well as lubricate things to prevent damage to the element).

Hopefully, your pots have an opening to accept these products. If they're sealed pots, you can experiment with one of those fittings that screws on to the mounting threads of the pot. I haven't had great luck with this on pots where the shaft/bushing tolerance is too tight. There's probably no way that the 100% stuff can be forced through the bushing.

Buying a new, high quality pot is the most dependable fix.

4. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    That's good to know. Thanks for the correction!

Chad

5. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I just checked the site and its now called DeoxIT FaderLube, looks like a good product!

6. CSB

CSB

Feb 23, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thank you guys for the info. Here is another thing.....The bass is new. Very new. I like the darn thing. I do not want to really have to take it back but if this could grow into a big problem.....I DO want to tackle it now. Gosh....man I am listing to some Steve Wonder at this time....Just had to say it...Funky:bassist: