I can hear Sansamp BDDI distortion through my extension cab but not my combo. What?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Here is the situation: I have a Yorkville 200B 1x15 combo and I just added an older Yorkville Bloc 1x15 extension cab. Both are fairly old pieces of equipment but in very good condition.

As far as I know, the combo sounds great. Very loud. Never distorts...such that I thought my Sansamp BDDI was broken. I could NEVER get distortion out of my combo.

I just bought the extension cabinet a few weeks ago. The seller said it was reconed about 5 years ago. It sounds much louder and brighter but the thing is that I can hear my BDDI distortion now.

My question is this: Should I be concerned about the state of my combo speaker? It sounded fine before, sounds fine now, but it doesn't perform like the older/reconed extension.
  2. I go into the instrument input jack.

You know what, I tried this again and believe it or not, I do get distortion. :rolleyes: But far less than my extension cabinet (very faint distortion). (It's too early in the afternoon for thinking).

Anyways, I'm still wondering about the difference in the speakers. This is a sign that I should get my combo speaker reconed as well?
  3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It shouldn't matter. Even in the effects loop he should hear it in the combo. Very odd. :confused:
  4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    If you're using two of the same type of speaker (Yorkville 15's, same model) from the same amp, with no output balance controls, and one is signifigantly louder than the other, you probably have a bad speaker since both are running off the same amp so that possibility (varying amp output) is eliminated.
  5. I just plugged in my Jazz bass without the BDDI and listened to the speakers, first with the combo and second with the combo and extension. They sound almost identical. Again, the extension speaker does sound slightly brighter but volume is about the same. The tone is almost identical though the combo speaker sounds like it has the tone knob rolled off ever so slightly. The only real difference is the absence of distortion. I guess that can be a good thing then. ;)
  6. My guess is that one speaker just has a more muffled sound than the other. Distortion is very mid/high-ish, so if the speaker only does the bass range, you would hardly hear the distortion.
  7. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Lemme get this right... without the BDDI, you get zero distortion through the combo, and zero distortion through the ext. cab... with the BDDI you get decent dist. through the ext. cab, but very little to none through the combo. It's weird cause I have a hard time hearing "distortion" using a sansamp (bddi or rbi) no matter what cab I use.. If I clip the power amp with the rbi I get a bit, but It doesn't really sound like healthy distortion. I'd guess that one of your speakers picks up a range of frequencies (where the distortion occurs) that your other speaker doesn't. But I dunno. I dunno. I use my Boss pedal for distortion when I want distortion. I use the sansamp for a fatty sound or just as a tone-shaper.
  8. Perhaps reconing the speaker allow me to achieve distortion. I don't plan on using distortion anytime soon though so I won't do it. Just thought it was worth inquiring.
  9. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think you are either overdriving the Sansamp internally, or are overdriving the input of your bass head. The brighter speaker just makes the distortion clearer. Try this:

Plug the bass stright into the amp head. Plays fine? OK.

Run through the Sansamp. Do not touch the amp's volume control - set it the same as when you plugged straight into the head. If it is louder than before, turn down the output of the Sansamp until it matches. Is the distortion gone? If so, you have solved the problem - overdriven amp input. If not, turn the Sansamp output back up, and its input down. Is it clean now? Problem solved - too much drive and not enough output in the Sansamp.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm just taking a stab in the dark here..........

I let a friend borrow a speaker cab once for a jazz gig. He returned it and suddenly I couldn't hear my Sansamp distortion either. A quick slap revealed he'd turned the horn off. Everything was fine once I turned it back on.

Do both cabs have horns? If so, could the horn on your combo be dead?