1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can only read tabs?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ambra, Feb 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    "Solfege" is not synonymous with "Fixed Do"... which is what I was asking about. I knew that Solfege was used as a training tool by many but I did not know that there were countries or regions that completely replace the letter system (C, D, E...) with these terms (Do, Re, Mi...).

Ambra likes this.
  2. Ambra

Ambra

Feb 18, 2017
    Italy
    Sorry, what is an elective class? o_O

3. Ambra

Ambra

Feb 18, 2017
    Italy
    Thank you for the advice. Yeah, I honestly know very little about the theory part!!

4. So then these parts or bits of a jam, are they ever transcribed anywhere, ever?

5. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    If you want to expand your capabilities, reading from chord charts might be a good stepping stone. In my experience these generally have the lyrics with the note letters above or below the words. That's how the music is handed out at my church gig. It has really helped me with learning the fretboard. Sometimes the chord letters are put on sheet music and that could be a good way to bridge your way to reading music.

6. barry irwin

barry irwin Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 20, 2005
    Cocoa
    The goal is to become a musician. Meaning that you can play,read in more than one clef,write,arrange and compose. Well that's if you serious about music. Its not all about the bass. The bass happens to be at the bottom of all music.,Spelling out the time as well as the harmony of any given piece of music. What solo bass players are doing is NOT playing bass but expressing them selves on a bass instrument. Two completely different functions and roles. If you in a rehearsal and all the musicians can read and write it would take absolutely no time to play the music.Some artist came on a cruise ship once that I was working on and we rehearsed his 1 hour show in less than two hours. He was shocked as he had done the show on land before and the band had no reading and writing skills. It took 3 weeks for them to play the show. When there is so much music out there and you are required to know as many styles as possible, you need to be the best possible musician that you can be, and that is a requirement not an option.To put it very crudely...Crap or get off the pot.

Ambra likes this.
  7. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I agree with most of the comments above. I started off playing by ear, but I understood some basic theory (circle of 5ths, relative modes, basic chord structure). I learned standard notation because I wanted to write down what I was hearing instead of starting over every time I forgot how to play a song. Creating my own transcriptions is where the value is for me. The only written music I've ever been given is chord charts. I'm still learning standard notation, and I've benefited in two main ways. The first is rhythm. Writing out rhythms gives me a much deeper understanding of what I'm hearing. When go back to play a transcription, I have a much better idea of how it should sound because I can read the rhythm. The second is harmonic context. I'm now much more focused on knowing what chords are being played and I think of the pitch values in the context of the chord. I don't read for performances. Instead, I use transcriptions to increase my understanding of a song. I've never used tab, so I can't compare the two, but tab seems much more popular than standard notation.

Ambra likes this.
  8. Ambra

Ambra

Feb 18, 2017
    Italy
    I agree, even though my goal isn't to be part of a band, mostly because I would be too shy :rollno: but I guess I would like to.
    I mostly want to learn to be able to read whatever notation and to understand WHAT I'm playing, as you also stated. Even though, as LeeNunn said, from my experience tabs are way more popular.

9. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    An elective class is not one of a student's mandatory courses, but rather taken to broaden their education and still get course credit for their degree or certifcation.

10. dawelsch

dawelsch

May 18, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars, MJC Ironworks Strings, Gruv Gear
  11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Suggestion for practicing standard notation if you already know TAB:

Take a song you know well (that you learned from TAB or by ear) and write it using standard notation. Look up "free printable staff paper" and print some blank staff paper that has standard notation on top, TAB below. Write out the TAB you already know first, and then translate it into standard notation above.

If you practice being a writer in the language, then it will also make you a better reader in the language.! Good luck! :)

Ambra and LeeNunn like this.
  12. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I use Guitar Pro 6 for multiple reasons but here is how it will help you.

Tab out a simple song, scale, exercise, etc. By default it will show both standard notation and tab.
    Use the lyrics to add the note names below the standard notes.
    "Play" along at a slow speed reading the tab, standard notes and lyrics while saying the note names aloud.
    Turn off the Tab where only the standard notes are showing.
    "Play" along at a slow speed reading the standard notes and lyrics while saying the note names aloud.
    Make a copy and delete the lyrics (note names).
    "Play" along at a slow speed reading the standard notes while saying the note names aloud.

For me, watching the following video was the "ah-ha" moment when it came to understanding how to read music. While I may not be very good at it, I incorporate learning to read in my practice.

13. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It's not a problem. If you like the music you're learning and playing, enjoy it. If you want to play without looking at tabs, play along with the tracks without looking at the tabs. And if you really want to hear how good you sound, play without the music, and you'll know real fast if you sound good or not.