I can Steal an Ampeg B-100R but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

My local music store is driving me crazy. They have had a NEW (not used) Ampeg B-100R sitting there for months and months. I have watched it go from $499 to $449 and last night I walked in there and it was marked down to $399! I had to tear myself away. I want this combo sooo badly but I already have a real nice small rig, an AMP BH-420 head with an Avatar CB112 cab that Avatar is no longer making. Avatar was putting Eminence Kappa 12's in these cabs vs the Deltas that they are using now (80 oz magnet vs 56 oz magnet and also lower frequency). I could sell this rig and easily get enough for the Ampeg B-100R which is also VERY sweet sounding, just not as loud as what I got. What do you think I should do?
  2. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Keep what you have and get a 15" cab later. The B100r is nice, but you will be dissapointed down the road. It will not be loud enough and the rattles and stuff will soon come if they are not there already. The Ampeg combos sound nice, but I feel they are built really crappy.
  3. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Agreed - tear yourself away. Love the tone of my B100R, but I used it a low-volume gig the other day and was disappointed. Needed more headroom. Might even sell mine. Such a cool little amp tho - but w/ the money I'd get I could pick up a nice 210 cab that's just as portable, if not more so.
  4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I had a B100 R for awhile but sold it because of lack of volume for loud gigs. The Avatar 112 was much louder with my Eden 550.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My B100R has always been a practice amp for me and nothing more. Your band dynamics may be different, but I would personally consider the previous posters' advice and not go for this deal.

I will disagree with the "crappy build" statement, however, as mine was built like a tank. It has held up VERY well with zero rattles - and I bought it used a few years ago.
  6. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I take back the "crappy" comment. But I bought and tried 2-3 B100R and all of them had unacceptable rattles coming from the amp chassis. I also bought a BA115hp, very underpowered for 220w and also a rattle coming from the amp chassis. I took it back. My Fender Bassman 150 has no rattles at all, but I admit Fender in general can be iffy.
    It just seems that most combos out there from all manufacturers are just not put together very well. Especially where the head is attached to the cabinet.
    Don't they test these things out at the factory before they ship em out?
    Someone needs to test them out plucking an E string with moderate volume.
  7. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1 on the B100R decent construction. I have one and use it as a practice amp. It excels at simplicity and sits well in the mix at rehearsal.

However, it lacks the DI features and grunt to be a serious gigging amp. I use a Bassman 150 which has many more features for small gigs DI into the PA and the Ampeg rigs for larger venues.

I say keep what you have and add another cabinet later.

8. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I am selling my CB112; I used it as the high part of a biamp. Full range I was not excited. I like by B100R just fine and have done several gigs with it.
  9. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've had my B-100R for four years now and it has been Great! No rattles, just great "old school" tone. Yes, it might be a bit underpowered for a gig, but the old B-15's were only 60-watts at most. It is the ultimat practice amp, whaich is my use for it. When I gig, I use my Ampeg SVT-IIIPro and Genz-Benz NeoX-212T. I like the B-100R a lot, within its restrictions.
  10. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I"m with the other posters here. I wouldn't sell your current rig to get it, but I love mine. I've had it for almost 4 years now and it's been incredibly solid. I've got an Aggie AG500 thru a GS 212 when things get louder, but I'll never part with my B-100R. If they made a 500watt version, i'd own it.