1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Can Use Some Help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BTW122, Oct 10, 2010.

1. BTW122

BTW122

Oct 10, 2010
    I want to take up guitar, well atleast pick up on where I left off. I am so torn between choosing an Electric Guitar Or A Bass Guitar. I'm literally loosing sleep over the matter. I don't like one more than the other either. When I hear basses I just blend right in with the music. It soothens my soul. When I hear an electric guitar I just get so energetic and wanna pluck some strings. However, I am torn with the decison. I don't know which way to go. Please, give me your insights. And even thought the majority of you are bassist, if not all, please be considerate of guitarists Lol.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Ahhhh, This is Talk bass .com What do you expect to hear?

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Get a bass; it's so much easier to play.

4. Yes get a bass, but that's kind of the wrong reason...

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Get a bass, it's much harder to play well.

6. Play both.:)

7. Slappin'Da Bass

Slappin'Da Bass

Feb 5, 2010
    BASSBASSBASS

8. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The bassist is the leader of the band. Do you want, and can you handle that responsibility? ;)
    Rocky

9. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    just play both. if it's affecting you that much you sound like you'd have the motivation

10. Good guitar players are a dime a dozen. A GOOD bass player is always working. Bass is way cooler than guitar anyway.

11. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    It sounds like you want to play both. I play bass and drums equally, and find the drums for fun on some days, bass the others. Knowing how to play both well will greatly enhance your musical ability.

12. BTW122

BTW122

Oct 10, 2010
    LOL at these comments

13. BTW122

BTW122

Oct 10, 2010
    I've been playing the drums for 10 years lol

14. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    There ya go. Pick the guitar for a few months, then grab a bass. It's all good. Sometimes you can't replace shredding on a guitar. I'm an equal opportunity musician. ;)

15. BTW122

BTW122

Oct 10, 2010
    thankyou

16. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    We don't do that "considerate of guitarists" thing here. Bass! ;)

17. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I probably play (at home) 90% of the time on my guitars. I write on guitar. I record with guitar. If anyone asks me what I play I tell them I am a bass player. I'm not a guitar player. When I look for/start bands I am the bass player.
    I don't want to be a guitar player.
    I've played bass for close to 32 years, and it's a part of me. And I'm only just beginning to really understand the instrument. She's a tough mistress.
    She speaks to your soul. Give in to her.

Asking questions like "Should I play bass or guitar?" on a bass forum is just asking for trouble. That said, your a drummist so you, of all people, should understand the dynamics of the bass and the interplay/symbiosis with drums. Buy a guitar, but leave it at home!

18. I play rhythm guitar and 4 string bass. The rhythm guitar helps my bass playing and my bass playing has helped my rhythm guitar playing.

Do you want to sit by the campfire and sing and strum. If so 6 string guitar. Amps are a little heavy to take to the campfire and finding electricity is usually a bitch.

I'll close with what the music store owner ask me when I first went in for my guitar. Which do you see yourself playing a year from now. That's the one to get.

19. Buy a banjo.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021