I cannot decide which bass to get-Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfi228, May 9, 2021.

1. Wolfi228

Wolfi228

May 9, 2021
    I have been looking at a couple bass guitars for the past month and a half. I have narrowed it down to about three basses. One of these I want to purchase.
    I currently play in a band with a big variety of music styles. We play big band, rock, Country, Cajun, etc. I am also personally very interested in learning to play some funk/slap. All three of those basses that I’m interested in have different pickups which I am not too familiar with, yet.

Here are the three basses that I want to choose from (with link for more info):
    Ibanez SMRS1605B
    Ibanez Premium SR1605B Bass Guitar - Caribbean Shoreline Flat

Ibanez SR1605D
    Ibanez Premium SR1605D Bass Guitar - Autumn Sunset Sky

for some reason, there is not a lot of info about the SR1605D. Beautiful looking guitar.

IbanezSRMS805

Ibanez Bass Workshop SRMS805 Multi-Scale Bass Guitar - Deep Twilight

I have read that the part Bartollinis are a bit on the milder side, sound wise. Not sure if they’re good for funk?

I have heard a lot of good things about Aguileras. Not very familiar with the Nordstrom.
    Which one of these three basses would be the best choice for my white musical variety, plus enough punch for funk?
    I am also very interested in playing the new multi scale, hence, the 805 on that list.
    Any help in narrowing down my choices would be greatly appreciated. I know all three of these pick ups have distinctive sounds. I’m just not sure which one would fit me best.

P.S. I am also currently shopping for a bass amp. I am looking at the Hartke HD508. Only have about $700 to invest in an amp.

2. CoastalRyan

CoastalRyan

Dec 21, 2020
    I can’t help but those 3 have been on my radar as well. I play mainly rock, blues and metal. I’m especially interested in the 805.

Hopefully you can get some feedback. I’d love to hear what others have to say.

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Wow, no Ibanez fans logged in today?

If you’re the sort who likes having a pre-amp on your bass, I can’t see why any of those would fail to work well for you. They’re all really similar.

I’d stay away from black finished hardware just because.

Bartolinis have a sound that nobody but serious music geeks will hear as a very late 80s-90s sound, particularly if paired with an aluminum-coned Hartke rig.

Both the Aguilar and Nordstrand, IMO, tend to have a more natural and less *distinctive* sound than the Barts.

Again, if you like them, it’s more a question of what one’s paint work work best with your outfits.

Beej and BBassBassington like this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

@hypercarrots might be able to help.
    He's quite knowledgeable with Ibanez.

5. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    If I had a vote I’d say G&L L 2000 if you’re a 4 or L2500 if you’re a5
    Duke

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    For about 30 years Barts were THE pickups fitted to most boutique basses. IMO Bartolini make great sounding pickups.

7. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I’m not a fan of barts but that just me. I would just keep listening to people on YouTube playing the above mentioned basses and see if that helps narrow it down. Anything with a PJ setup will nail any style IMO. Best of luck !

smtp4me likes this.
  8. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    I’d personally look into the Ibanez SR650 (the PJ configuration) very budget friendly and can give you a lot of tone variety for the money!

Outbush and jastraw like this.
  9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    All three look like a good choice. Have you had a chance to play any of them? Something similar at least? The number one thing for me is how the bass feels. If the bass doesn't feel comfortable to play, you will not play it. Regardless of how good it sounds. I have learned that the hard way SEVERAL times. Whichever one you buy, make sure to take advantage of the return policy. Good luck.

10. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Autumn Sunset is the best color, the gold hardware sets it off, and these basses seem otherwise similar on specs. I don't know from Bartolini's, except that I grew up knowing them by reputation as "THE BEST BASS PICKUP." I am passively interested in another Ibanez model with Barts, and it seems some number of people prefer to drop the Aguilars in on that particular model. But, based on color definitely the yellow one.

11. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Shoreline. It's essentially active jazz bass. Get that one.

Beej likes this.
  12. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've owned one bass with Barts, and it was also an Ibanez (a BTB). I didn't like them. Too dark, and not enough mids/highs for me. If it helps, ask yourself this question: if I could buy all 3 basses and spread them out on the floor in front of me, which one would I reach for first? I do this a lot when I have trouble choosing.

13. CoastalRyan

CoastalRyan

Dec 21, 2020
    Interesting. I can’t speak for OP but I was leaning towards that multi scale myself.

You don’t think that 3 band eq and 3 way mid switch would help overcome that?

Did the one you own have a similar EQ?

14. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    I like the Twilight color the best, but the pickups are crooked.

15. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Consider the preamps also. It looks like the bart equipped one has a different preamp than th other two.
    That’ll make a big difference IMO
    I’d wager that much of the price difference is reflected in the electronics

it’s hard to keep track of the changes in ibanez specifications as they seem to change often. I played a fanned fret model in 2019 and it was a nice playing bass but the sound was a bit bland.
    I’ve never been a fan of their proprietary electronics but if it were me I’d consider going for the one with the better pickups. (Nordstrand)

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sorry, not an Ibanez fan but I've played the fanned-fret one several times.
    I liked it but I've heard several people complain about the pickups/electronics.
    As for an amp, why only one choice?
    You might want to check out the new Ampeg.
    You'll probably never have to buy another amp.
    Screenshot-20210509-214142-Samsung-Internet.jpg

sonojono and BBassBassington like this.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

CONSIDER this; a good amp delivers bass tone, not just volume. You can have the nicest most playable bass but weak amp will cause sadz.

Can you budget for good bass and slightly better bass amp? And/or, buy amp gear in such a manner that you can upgrade-add to so you can have a rig that will give you years of performance.

I’d suggest the Hartke LH line (500 or 1000) for lotsa reliable and affordable power and a good cabinet.

I have no advice for you regarding the basses. Ibanez makes great instruments.

BBassBassington likes this.
  18. G&L......:thumbsup:

Reedt2000 and Redd Hatt like this.
  19. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    My biggest concern would be the finish.
    The basses listed have wacky finishes, which is fine, but should especially be considered when paying for a premium model.
    I always want an instrument to fit in with whatever band I could play in now or in the future.
    These basses all have a very specific (maybe limiting) vibe to them, could look out of place in some genres, and could look dated in a short period of time.

I would think that swapping your bass and amp budgets, or evening them out would yield better results.
    I'm also not really sure what you mean by "white musical variety"... but whatever you mean, it's probably a term I would avoid in the future.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Reedt2000, sonojono and MattZilla like this.
  20. One thing that hasn’t been touched on is playability.
    The 1605D has a wider 18mm string spacing at the bridge, where the other two have the ubiquitous Narrow 16.5mm bridge spacing used across the SR range.
    I prefer the 18mm spacing for my sausage-fingers as I find it more comfortable to play.
    I also feel that the 1605D with Aguilar’s sounds absolutely fantastic.

red_rhino and BBassBassington like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021