Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I cannot find Steve Lawson's cds anywhere!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Scuzzy666, Mar 3, 2001.

1. Hell, I can't find anybody who even knows who Mr. Lawson is! Of course, I do live in Wyoming and the only bassist anyone knows around here is Gene Simmons, and they only know him as "The dude from Kiss with the tongue." Where can I find 'em?

Also...

Do you think a Hondo Deluxe Series 8700 (more or less a cheap P.O.S. We all have to start somewhere, eh?) bass can be saved by replacing the picks-ups, strings, tuners, pick-up switch, tone knob, volume knobs, and a neck adjustment? It's not my primary bass anymore but, I would like to fix it up so it produces a tone instead of a THUD!

2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Man, I wish I can afford to buy a CD. :(

Hell, folks around these parts probably don't even know what a bass is, let alone a certain bassist. LOL!

(And I quote a lady on a bus along side me the other day...I had my bass with me and this lady asked me what it was. I said a bass. She's like:"What's that?". Like, OMG. heh. Whatever. The bus driver heard and he said I had a machine gun in the case. Mwahaha. Funny. Har har. Yerp yerp.)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Scuz- If you undertook that overhaul, I think you'd have more money into the upgrades than that stick is worth :eek: !!!!! That's like putting Borrani wheels and a Blaupunkt stereo on/in a Yugo. Why don't you float that thing on ebay or in the classifieds and let someone else suffer it? Or take it to a gig and do a Townsend!

I used to be in a band with a guitarist who had too much money and for kicks, he would go out and buy pieces of crap, cut them into weird shapes, (e.g., M-16 rifle), and then throw something like DiMarzios on them. They still sounded like stuck pig because, among other reasons, the wood was poplar or worse.

Or is it a "sentimental" thing???

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You want to be careful with this sort of thing, There is a regular documentary on British TV about the day-to-day running of a large London international airport and one week they focused on a guy from Chicago who was carrying a large violin case. He was stopped at customs and they asked what was in the case. He was laughing and joking and said something like "Hey cause I'm from Chicago, it must be a machine gun right" .

The customs people called the airport Police straight away and several armed Police showed up in seconds and dragged him off to a holding unit. Then they took him away to London Police cells and he missed his flight. He kept protesting that he was only joking, but the Police kept saying that they take the threat of terrorists at airports very seriously. He was held in cells overnight and had to get tickets for another plane back to Chicago the next day. The documentary team asked him about it and he said he was only doing a favour for a friend by bringing back the violin and he wished he hadn't been so generous or had a sense of humour! :D

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...There aren't any shops in Wyoming stocking my CD, sadly, but you can order it direct from the website, via credit card, delivered to anywhere in the world. If you haven't got a credit card, send an international money order for £11.00 to the address on the UK ordering page... hope that helps - when you buy it, play it to the guys at your local record shop and tell 'em they should stock it! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

PS - about the Hondo thing - sell it and get a new bass - the cost of all that hardware is going to be more than a better bass would cost, and if the body isn't resonant, there's an old saying that applies - 'you can't polish a turd'...

6. Steve, you're too cool, man.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Just to say that in the UK all of us bassists know who Mr. Lawson is - mainly from his magazine articles, reviews etc. ;)

I asked in a few big shops in London about the getting the new CD by Matt Garrison, which I had seen featured in Bass Player mag.... but they all said they had never heard of him and he wasn't anywhere on their CD databases! But then I re-read the article and saw that he was only distributing it by online orders, the same as Steve - but via the Bass Collective.

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    It must be said that writing for Bassist gave me a profile that I'd have struggled to get if I hadn't done that... It does mean that some people view me as more journo than player, which is ironic seeing as I have no journalistic training at all, but studied music for years and years and have been doing it professionally for about 8 years... :oops:)

It seems more and more people are doing it - Tony Levin, Oteil Burbridge, Dave Pomeroy, Matt Garrisson, Me, SadHappy, and loads of others. People are finally realising that the bigger exposure that you can get from a record deal is often not worth the trade off of not owning your own work, paying to have it made out of your advance and then it still being owned and controlled by the record company. As Robert Fripp so wisely said, it's like having a mortgage on a house and when you've finished paying it off, at an ultra-high interest rate, the estate agent still owns it... not good at all.

I've made more from my own CD than from any project I've ever worked on - and the total sales of all the CDs I've played on is somewhere between one and two hundred thousand!!!!

The more I think about it, the more I love working this way. And for anyone buying the CD, they know that the money is going to the person who made it, not some bunch of share-holders or fat-cat record company execs. It's funding future projects instead of a corporate coke-habit.

It also means that I can set the price on the CD, which in the UK is roughly 2/3rds of standard UK retail - it means I don't have an advertising budget (That would be covered by the other £5 per CD that you pay in Tower Records), but hopefully people will play it to their friends and encourage them to get it if they like it, and word will get round...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Asa brief post-script to this thread, I'll add that there are few shops that are stocking my CD, as well as other bass CDs - Bass North West in Seattle, LA Bass Exchange in Calfornia, and The Bass Centre in London all have the CD in stock, along with other bass CDs that might not have the profile to get stocked in bigger music shops. Please support the people who are trying to get the word out but checking out the CDs.

Another place that as yet isn't stocking my CD, but is well worth checking for Bass CDs is www.audiophileimports.com who carry loads of cool CDs by Jonas Hellborg, Michael Manring, Victor Wooten, Jeff Berlin and others. Do check out their site, do a search on your favourite players and see what rarities are thrown up. Oh, and e-mail them suggesting they should stock my CD as well!!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. just bought your CD today at the Bass Centre London, Steve.
    also got Colin Hodgkinson's "The Bottom Line" album at the Bass Centre too.
    they need to get some more Bass-oriented CDs in there too- I couldn't find Jungle Funk's (Doug Wimbish) album anywhere.

11. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Great - I'm glad that they had mine and Colin's. Did you suggest to them that they get some others in? Try asking there and at the Gallery for more bass CDs. It's only when they realise that there's a demand for it that they will stock more CDs.

let me know what you think of the album,

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Read the thread, and spent some bread...

I've been meaning to order the cd for awhile now, and for roughly $16US shipped, well, you can't beat that.

Looking forward to checking out the cd, Steve! I know I liked what I heard at the website.

13. I forgot to ask at the Bass Centre if they could get other CDs in, but I'd have thought with having MI right next door, and stocking Bass player mag they'd easily have customers willing to buy albums of "player's players".

I love track 4, "The New Country".

I've learnt the chordal part (I think I have, at least...)- fortunately all my basses have at least 21 frets!

are you considering getting a fretted 6string?

also, which songs did you use the Renaissance5 on? (is that it on the 2nd solo to The New Country?)
    I'm interested in what difference the Thomastik nylon core strings make on an acoustic.

14. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    well done for working it out so quick - shouldn't be a problem with 21 frets...

Fretted 6 is almost certainly going to be my next instrument, though I do love my Q4 and the sound I get from it. I don't think i'd retire it, just I would like to have the enhanced chordal possibilities that a fretted 6 would present.

The Renassaince bass is only on that second solo on The New Country. There's another tune on the website called 'conversation with my dad' which is at the bottom of the solo gigs and CD page, which is nearly all on the Ren, and would've been on the album if it hadn't be slightly too loud and distorted the mic. the Ren is a lovely bass - I definitely plan to write some more music for it soon.

if you're looking for suggestions for other bass feature CDs to get, jonas hellborg's latest one, 'Good People In Times Of Evil' is fantastic, and well worth the cash. Tower in Picadilly have got it in. He's playing in London soon, at the Jazz Cafe, so I think I'll be going to that!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

15. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    BTW, if you want to write out what you think the chordal part is, and scan it and e-mail it to me, I'd be happy to let you know if you got it right or not! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

16. um, I'm too lazy to write out a full tab, but I can state roughly what I think the fretting shapes and positions are here (I can face the embarrassment of the mistakes being pointed out- the chord voicings you used are probably different);

root C held at fret 15, A string, while fourths barred at frets 14 then 12 followed by frets 19 then 17 on the D and G strings.

on the chord changes, root shifts to fret 14 B on the A string for the fret 12 barring on the D and G strings, then root A fret 17 of the E string for the fret 19 then 17 barring on the D and G strings.

then ascending root,octave,tenth shapes starting on F at fret 13 on the E string, G fret 15, A minor fret 17, B minor fret 19 (with the octave A on the necessary 21st fret of the D string)
    finally the turnaround lick played at frets 17/19 on the A and D strings leading back into the root C.

(omitting the slides into the root notes and the percussive string patting)

how'd I do?

17. ps. correction- I've just worked out the last 2 chord shapes are root, sixth, minor tenth instead, so no 21st fret necessary after all...

18. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    That's pretty close, but root, 6t, minor tenth? what kind of a way is that to describe the harmony of what's happening there???????? :oops:)

think 'inversions' and have another go. right notes, wrong names...

cheers

Steve "aspickyasmrpickwickinapickinesscontest" Lawson

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

19. ah, that's why I've never taken lessons/ you can tell I've never taken lessons!
    referring to Jonas Hellborg's chord bassics book (so I can blame him if it's wrong), the last two chords could be called Aminor flattened sixth and Bminor flattened sixth, or they could be/are inversions of
    F and G:confused:

20. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    There are indeed first inversion F and G chords - Aminb6 would have to have a 5th in it for it to make sense, I guess, or at least have it in the melody... :oops:)

time for some lesson then, methinks! <grin>

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk