Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't afford £10K

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lowb, Oct 17, 2002.

1. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I just found out that that the Rector at my Uni (Imperial college, London) is trying to make students pay the whole tuition fees....!!!!!......I can't aford £10K a year............:mad:

That makes me mad..........even if i sold all my gear, i'd still not be able to afford it.......That makes me madder.........................................and lets face it I'm not selling my gear :rolleyes: ;)

ah well

peace

2. Why is he trying to do this?

Did anyone see this coming?

Mike J.

3. I have always believed that the European model of free university education cannot sustain itself.

Now, granted, £10k/year is a whole assload of money, but it's about a third of the annual expenses at an American private university and approximately equal to those at a public one, so as a Yankee, I must say "QUITCHERBITCHIN."

That said, the bastard could have given you some warning. I think he's probably getting pressure from upstairs--from what I've been reading from the British press, Gordon Brown has real problems restraining himself from spending money that the Exchequer doesn't have.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Sad, but true. We yanks gotta pay through the teeth for a university education.

5. Well, the upside is that we get a much better university education than Europeans do, in that our students usually spend more time learning and studying than protesting.

(Note: does not apply to political science majors)

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I dunno...I'm about to finish a computer science major at a world recognized university that is always in the top ten universities in the country and I think my education stinks. College is a joke IMO...

7. Woah!!! Slow down...the tuition fees for a year of university are 1,100 pounds, not 10,000 pounds!! Fortunately my county council supplies mine...and Brendan, university education in this country (I don't know about Europe) is not free by any means. My education is costing me around 13,000 pounds (I'd type the symbol except I have a crappy American keyboard :) ) and for Peter McFerrin I'd like you to qualify your statement that Americans get a better university education. Anyone who did remedial English knows that unsupported (and frankly rash) statements are worthless.

8. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I think that the reference to free education was a little misleading. it may be free at the point of use, but like the UK health service, is paid out of the tax system, unlike the US system (which is barbaric IMHO).

This was introduced a loooong time ago as it was thought that it would enable students to be chosen on ability to study rather than ability to pay.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea really...

Andy

9. It's not a bad idea at all, in theory. Unfortunately, with all funding coming from the state--and thus extremely vulnerable to the whims of budget-cutters--the problems of American state universities are merely amplified: keeping high-powered faculty and researchers from decamping to American private universitites that can pay them a lot more. Cornell grabs faculty from European universities on a regular basis.

Yottskry, how many classes do most students take at the typical British public uni? Given what friends who have spent semesters at universities on the Continent have said, the average European university student spends maybe 10 hours a week in class and not much more studying. It's almost as though we in the USA push students harder in college to make up for the fact that our secondary schools suck like the bilge pump on a ballistic missile submarine.

BTW, "£" is alt-156 in Windows.

10. Well 10 hours sounds about right for me at the moment, although I also have a project to work on for my degree which should be an extra 7 hours a week. All the units I'm taking this semester also have courseworks which aren't allowed for in that 10 hour period. Also, I wouldn't put British universities in the same group as continental European ones...apparently (and I don't have first hand experience of this) the two don't equate as you might expect.

Also also apparently (I say that because my experience was excellent) the English school system is also supposed to be quite poor. Schools in Scotland are supposed to be the best in Britain but then they do things slightly differently again.

You'd never have guessed there'd be so many standards for such a small country :D

btw: thanks but I'm not using Windows :D

11. 10 K sounds a lot yes, but thats about what my studies fees are. But i pay them by installments on a term basis. Each term comes to about $3000 to me give or take a couple of hundred.

:D:D

Merls

12. How long you spend in class/studying depends a whole lot on your course. I have friends doing a business related degree that only go in maybe twice a week for a couple hours. The I know others doing engineering degrees who are in 5 days a week, 9-5, with additional studying outside of that in the form of projects etc.

Laying a ****load of work on a student doesn't mean they're better students at the end of it - they just get good at handling large workloads.

13. I'm paying...
    Or...well...ok, my parents are paying roughly US$74,000 a year on my brother & I for tuition fees.

Which makes me feel kinda bad, because a lot of my friends are here on loans, grants, scholarships etc. And there's one girl whose parents are already pretty squeezed for cash by sending her here for this year, and unless a miracle happens, it's not very likely that she'll be returning next year. :(
    She might have to defer for a year and get a job to help with paying for her education.

So yes, paying for a college education can be a real kick in the pants.

[EDIT] Oh, right. And that $74,000/year doesn't include housing fees for me.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    or the university of wisconsin - madison. :rolleyes: