Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't beleive M. Manring is playing Modesto, and I didn't know!! AAARRGGHH!!!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by coyoteboy, Jul 19, 2002.

1. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    <sigh>

I have band rehearsal tonight too, and gear hauling for tomorrow's X-fest.

I'm soooo bummed, and I just had to get it out.

I hope you have a good show Michael!

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    dude, it's time to quit the band - seeing Michael play is way more important than gigging... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Steve -- you're much too kind! Many thanks, my friend.

Coyoteboy -- Sorry you couldn't make it to the show, but thanks for your interest. I've been talking to the promoter there about playing in Modesto again soon, maybe solo this time? Please make sure to say hello if you can make it.

4. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I won't make the same mistake the next time. I have managed to catch a performance of yours at the Freight & Salvage I beleive it's called. It was a really amazing show, and I managed to get a Hyperbass Cat Toy, and the cats are close to mastering this rare instrument.

Hoping to catch you next time....

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    My cat has one of those too. I'll have to see if I can find the pics of him getting down with his bad self on it... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. I wish i had known about that gig. I definetely would have made the trip to Modesto. It's only 60 miles or so from me, and that would have been worth the trip.

7. When was that? Was that earlier this month? In Berkeley? I was there. I'm sure I would have recognized you if you were there. Although, I was pretty focused on my photography.

Here's a pic from that show:

[​IMG]

the rest are at:

http://www.chromatic-fantasy.com/2002-07-18-pm-manring/index.html

- Dave

8. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hi Dave.

The show I was referring to was a couple of years ago, I think.

9. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I've also agonizingly missed Manring performing... When I first got into his music I looked on his webpage to see that he had played nearby only months earlier. Then like a year and a half later I checked manthing.com only to find that he had performed nearby again, only days before I had checked the page! The next time he comes near Wisconsin im gonna freakin' write myself reminders a month in advance, I'm not missing things again!

10. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    that's the best advert I've ever read for signing up for someone's mailing list... :)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

11. Plus, if you sign up on his mailing list you get access to two ( previously unreleased? ) MP3's. I highly recommend checking them out!!!!

- Dave

12. Mr Manring,

I'm going to try and get to that Aug 17th show in Concord Ca. I live no more than an hour from there, so I hope I can make it.

PS, I just joined the mailing list, too.:D

13. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm sorry that my gigs aren't that well publicized, guys. Signing up for my e-mail list is probably the best bet. My web guy and I haven't sent out many mailings recently, but I can see we'll have to take it a lot more seriously from now on! Thanks for the feedback.

14. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Those MP3s are amazing! Music for Armchair Funambulists is one of my favourite pieces of music. Is there any chance that It will be released on cd, a live version would be astounding.

I have been waiting to see the Manthing since THONK.

Matt

15. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, Matt. I hadn't thought about doing a studio re-recording of "...Armchair...", but a live version might be fun! I'll have to think about that...

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, man, you have to. i love that one.

btw, dammit, when are you coming to atlanta! :mad: :D ;) (glad to see you back around these parts)

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    btw, michael, we just finished mixing our cd with neil kernon in chicago, and he let us hear some of the mcgill manring stevens stuff. very cool improv stuff. good luck with it. :)

18. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi John,

Please say hi to Neil for me! I hope I get to hear your CD.

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek: :D well, i hope you're not expecting _too_ much. :D