1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I can't believe I'm asking an ohm question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok, I checked the FAQ, and one of Joris' earlier proto-FAQ, and I can't seem to find this.

Talking with PICK earlier, I came across a discrepency in my info...

If I have a poweramp, and run it bridged at 1000watts 4ohms into an 8 ohm cab, and then use the out in the cab to connect it to another 8 ohm cab, what's the impedance the amp sees? I was told 4, but now I'm not sure.

Illustraition:

Poweramp
    |
    8 ohm connected to
    |
    8 ohm cab

?
    I feel like such a putz.

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Are the outputs on the cab series or parallel? There probably parallel so i'm guessing it's 4 ohms?

3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't know. They're 8 ohm Eden D-410XLTs, I just checked the connectors, both are labeled "Input" but I'm pretty sure it's parallel. When I was getting the poweramp from Gard, he said the amp would see 4 ohms, and I trust Gard, but PICK and I were questioning it after reading the Amp FAQ

Yet another reason I shouldn't have such nice toys...:rolleyes:

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Looks like 4 ohms to me.

5. Bass Bill

Bass Bill

Aug 7, 2002
  6. The amp will see 4 Ohms, unless someone's tampered with the internal wiring of the cabinets. The in/out jacks are always parallel. I've never seen a cabinet, bass, guitar, PA that had series in/outs on it. And I've seen a lot of cabinets over the years. :D

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You are not really running it at 4 ohms until you have hooked up a 4 ohm load. For instance, you cannot "run it bridged at 1000watts 4ohms" into an 8 ohm cabinet.
    Is that your confusion?

8. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I believe you can get a series connection if you're using a banana plug :

+ side from Amp to + of speaker 1.
    - of speaker 1 to + of speaker 2.
    - of Amp to - of speaker 2.

In which case your 2 8 ohm cabs would make 16 ohms. Hope that makes sense. I had a lovely diagram but spaces aren't working :(

9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Spacegoat and Fastslapper and Turock. That answers my question. I was right, apparently.

Thanks guys.

10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, that wasn't the comfusion, it was what the ohm load of running the cabs parallel.