Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't believe I'm asking an ohm question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok, I checked the FAQ, and one of Joris' earlier proto-FAQ, and I can't seem to find this.

Talking with PICK earlier, I came across a discrepency in my info...

If I have a poweramp, and run it bridged at 1000watts 4ohms into an 8 ohm cab, and then use the out in the cab to connect it to another 8 ohm cab, what's the impedance the amp sees? I was told 4, but now I'm not sure.

Illustraition:

Poweramp
    |
    8 ohm connected to
    |
    8 ohm cab

?
    I feel like such a putz.

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Are the outputs on the cab series or parallel? There probably parallel so i'm guessing it's 4 ohms?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't know. They're 8 ohm Eden D-410XLTs, I just checked the connectors, both are labeled "Input" but I'm pretty sure it's parallel. When I was getting the poweramp from Gard, he said the amp would see 4 ohms, and I trust Gard, but PICK and I were questioning it after reading the Amp FAQ

Yet another reason I shouldn't have such nice toys...:rolleyes:

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Looks like 4 ohms to me.

5. The amp will see 4 Ohms, unless someone's tampered with the internal wiring of the cabinets. The in/out jacks are always parallel. I've never seen a cabinet, bass, guitar, PA that had series in/outs on it. And I've seen a lot of cabinets over the years. :D

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You are not really running it at 4 ohms until you have hooked up a 4 ohm load. For instance, you cannot "run it bridged at 1000watts 4ohms" into an 8 ohm cabinet.
    Is that your confusion?

7. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I believe you can get a series connection if you're using a banana plug :

+ side from Amp to + of speaker 1.
    - of speaker 1 to + of speaker 2.
    - of Amp to - of speaker 2.

In which case your 2 8 ohm cabs would make 16 ohms. Hope that makes sense. I had a lovely diagram but spaces aren't working :(

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Spacegoat and Fastslapper and Turock. That answers my question. I was right, apparently.

Thanks guys.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, that wasn't the comfusion, it was what the ohm load of running the cabs parallel.