1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can't believe this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Apr 13, 2010.

1. So some friends got me to watch the season premiere of Glee with them and I think it's an amazing show! Funny, dramatic, great music and more funny but that's not the point of this post :p. Anyway, I decide that I'm going to watch the series starting from the first episode. I find the episode online and the very first song that's playing is Earth, Wind and Fire's "Shining Star". Now, I've heard this song about a bajillion times over the course of my lifetime but for whatever reason the sheer amount of funk oozing out of my headphones made me go to youtube as fast as my fingers could type and listen to this song about 5 more times.

Bottom line? I want a P bass with flats. NOW. For the longest time I said I'd never own one but I don't know if I can stop myself this time. It just sounded so AWESOME! If I decide to go through with this I'm doing it SUPER cheap so any recommendations? I can't stand the new headstock on the SXs but I've heard great things about the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe lines. If I'm not mistaken I think I saw that Squier is releasing a Fiesta Red P bass with tort guard? I want exactly that!

EDIT: Now that I've listened to the song another 8ish times I'm not entirely sure that it's a P bass with flats... but i still want one :eek:! Something is terribly wrong...

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    At first, I thought this was an OT post in the wrong forum. Glad I read the whole thing. There is, indeed, something magical about a P-bass w/ flats.

The Squier is going to be Fiesta Red IIRC, which kind of looks like a salmon pink. I prefer the looks of the Sonic Blue finish, but they both look nice. I already have a MIM P/J and it was very hard to resist taking one of these home from my local GC. I just loved it and they are really, really nice basses considering how inexpensive they are. I prefer the CV series to the MIM Stds, though the MIM Classic and Deluxe series basses are a cut or two above the Squiers IMO/IME. If you can, save up for a MIM Classic 50s P-bass, you won't be sorry. Otherwise, the Squier CV P rocks!

EDIT: link found...http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303070540

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm surprised it took this long! ;) To cop a quote from the late Jim Dickinson: "A Fender Precision with flatwound strings. Just as God intended it."

4. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    yeah, I'm planning on getting me one those too, along with the VM Jazz. I played one at GC and it was shocking how nice it sounded.

5. zulujack

zulujack

Jul 25, 2008
    What do you do with it? Play it with a plectrum?

6. Atnum

Atnum

Jan 14, 2010
    My pbass knock off came with round wound strings but I am planning on changing those to flats since I got my new bass but never got around to it yet. Maybe soon.